Subaru Forester - no fault claim - baser999

Been clipped by a bus again - scratch along front wing, door mirror knocked off. I never witnessed the incident which happened about 5am just before I was going out to work, although a guy at the bus stop opposite said he did however he then jumped on a bus and left, so didn't get his details. No specific bus details apart from the route and rough time. Its been reported to the bus company and I'm awaiting estimate from the garage recommended by my insurers, Aviva.

My policy carries a £350 excess so if the bus company do not accept liability, that part of the bill will be borne by me but at the moment I'd struggle to settle it. If I go to my local garage who do top quality restoration work, but aren't on Avivas list, Aviva will charge me an extra £200 on my excess. All's well, if the bus company accept liability, but if they don't I'm sunk. It's been suggested I refer to a 'no-fault' claims company regardless. The repair can be carried out over two days so the issue of a courtesy car really won't affect me. Advise please.

Subaru Forester - no fault claim - LucyBC
Bus companies habitually opposed claims and without a witness are likely to deny liability. You would probably be best to "self insure" - and pay it yourself without reference to Aviva. Tell the garage your financial position at the outset and see if they will accept stage payments.
Subaru Forester - no fault claim - Dutchie

I know It was a long shot but the bus must have had some damage.Would it have been worthwhile to go to the bus depot,maybe one of the inspectors noticed some damage to the bus.Or anothere bus driver saw something its very unfair for you to pay for this damage which isn't your fault.

Subaru Forester - no fault claim - pcvpilotmick

If there is any damage on the bus, especially paint transfer matching the colour of your car then most of the larger bus companies will usually arrange for the damage to be repaired, as a long drawn out legal battle with your insurers will usually cost far more than a new wing mirror and paintwork.

I work for one of the large multi national bus operators, and in situations like this as soon as the company becomes aware of any alleged collision, all vehicles operating on that particular route at the time in question will be traced and examined by a supervisor as soon as possible. Any damage found is photographed, cctv footage is examined and the driver will be interviewed. If they admit liability, they will arrange for repairs to the vehicle and arrange a courtesy car at no cost to the claimant.

It sounds to me like there could well be some paint transfer between vehicles, if the paint left on your car matches the colour of the bus and vice versa then I would imagine that they will admit liability fairly quickly, as the sooner it is sorted out the less it costs. If it is a small independant operator, they may not be quite as cooperative.

One more thing, if the bloke who witnessed this was at the bus stop opposite from where this occured at 5AM, try going out there at the same time tomorrow and see if he is waiting to catch the bus again, he may give you his details as a witness.

Subaru Forester - no fault claim - LucyBC
Very good advice on the witness.

On the bus company I have never found them so cooperative. The ones we encounter usually deny everything in these circumstances.
Subaru Forester - no fault claim - ex-Triumph man

Just remember before you go down the route of claiming off your insurers, it is a no claim bonus, not a no blame bonus. May end up cheaper in the long run just to take it on the chin.