Daihatsu Charade - Cambelt change / dealers implications on 5 yr old - etg

(Repost from General Discussion as only one reply!)

Recently bought a 5 year old Daihatsu Charade with 25K miles. The service record was fully stamped up and the dealer assured me it had been well looked after etc etc by a local owner and fully serviced by a local, reliable, garage.

When I got it home I noticed the service schedule stated the cam belt should be changed at 60K miles or 5 years so it should have been changed at this years service. I asked the selling garage to check with the servicing garage if the cam belt had been changed - it hadn't. I think he should do it; needless to say he doesn't! His argument is that it is an 'optional' service item and upto the owner. I argue that despite the service stamp, it had not been fully serviced to the manufacturers schedule and therefore was not as described by implication. (I do not believe the dealer intentionally mislead me). I do feel I paid (slightly) over the top for the car but was 'sold' on the reliability of a small dealer and full 6
month warranty but I don't feel like spending more now.

Have I got a case against the dealer who sold me the car. Indeed should I worry as the car has only done 25K miles and cambelts don't deteriorate with age (his argument, not mine). My last conversation with him resulted in the manager (owner) agreeing to go halves; on the one hand I don't feel I should, on the other hand I don't want the hassle of small claims court! Should I just forget it and renew the belt in a couple of years or so
(mileage will be low)?

Many thanks for any opinions or advice.

Edited by etg on 14/11/2010 at 15:09

Daihatsu Charade - Cambelt change / dealers implications on 5 yr old - LucyBC
I can only answer on the legal point. If the replacement was a requirement then you have a case that the car was not "as described" with the full service history and hence have a case for replacement.

If the replacement was optional then you don't have a case and the 50:50 is a good offer.

Someone else will need to answer on the technical point.
If the replacement was optional then you don't have a case and the 50:50 is a good offer. .

Many thanks for the reply.

So the 'legal' question therefore is - if an item is clearly on the manufacturer's service schedule as being specified to be done at a certain age and there is evidence that that service had been done (a stamp in the service record book only) at that age, then was that item (here being to replace the cam belt) optional or not. Surely, if it is clearly on the manufacturers service schedule then an item is not 'optional' (albeit an owner can, no doubt, instruct a garage not to do it - but the stamp would indicate a full service had been done).

If everytning on a service schedulke was optional, what would be the purpose of the schedule. To an extreme, that would mean that a car with 100,000 miles on the clock and full service history (stamps) could have had services where the garage had just lifted the bonnet to see that the engine was there and not done anything else!

Some items on some service schedules are subject to a check and if they are OK can be allowed to run to the next service.

I do not have to hand the service schedule for every vehicle but if the manufacturer required it to be done as part of the service schedule and not doing it might put you in jeopardy of not being able to claim for a mechanical failure then it should have been done.

Similarly if you bought the car partly on the basis that it had been done and it had not then you could also reasonably expect it to be undertaken at the supplying dealer's expense.
Some items on some service schedules are subject to a check and if they are OK can be allowed to run to the next service. I do not have to hand the service schedule for every vehicle but if the manufacturer required it to be done as part of the service schedule and not doing it might put you in jeopardy of not being able to claim for a mechanical failure then it should have been done. Similarly if you bought the car partly on the basis that it had been done and it had not then you could also reasonably expect it to be undertaken at the supplying dealer's expense.

Thanks Lucy. This still does not fully answer; Your first sentence applies to years 1 - 4. It is definately a requirement on the 5 year service but it does not put me in jeopardy of not being able to claim for a mechanical failure because it is out of manufaturers warranty. Any problems arising are likely to be outside the garages 6 month warranty. I bought the car on the basis that it had been fully serviced as indicated by the service stamps in the service record (I did not ask if that meant every service item had been done - I thought it reasonable to assume that!)

Daihatsu Charade - Cambelt change / dealers implications on 5 yr old - Dutchie

The dealer should have replaced the cambelt at the 5 years service.They are penny pinching .I would be inclined to take the car back out of principle.The dealer manager should give you peace of mind and have the work done free of charge.

Many repairs are made successfully beyond the warranty period on a "goodwill" basis but you have no chance whatsoever if the service history has not been fully complied with.

If you bought the car on that basis that it had, then - as I indicated before - you should demand they undertake it.