BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Torque Wrench - Laird Lugton

I've just bought a set of steel wheels with winter tyres. Rather than haul the set to the local tyre fitters I thought I'd fit them myself.

I notice the local tyre place uses a torque wrench, are they difficult to use? I was going to phone the tech department of the BMW garage and ask for the torque values and then install myself.

Ideas, thoughts?

BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Torque Wrench - Collos25

Just a word of warning if you intend

using the BMW jack becareful Bwm make superb cars but lousy jacks.

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/torque2.asp

This makes intersting reading

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 01/11/2010 at 15:49

BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Torque Wrench - Laird Lugton

Thanks Andy for the help. I have a pretty good hydraulic jack on wheels so will use that.

I bought a torque wrench and decided to practice on one bolt. I had to stand on the spanner to loosen the nut. When I then used the torque wrench (set to 110nm as per BMW instructions) to tighten it back up I found although the wheel was tight I could undo it by hand using a spanner without having to stand on the spanner to loosen the nut.....

So either 110nm isn't that tight or my torque wrench isn't calibrated correctly. Going to borrow another torque wrench and perhaps take it to a tyre fitters to be checked.

BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Torque Wrench - bathtub tom

More likely to be the last gorilla that fitted the wheel didn't have his air-gun set to the correct torque. They tend to wind them up as tight as they'll go.

BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Torque Wrench - injection doc

what about the lenght of the wheel bolts ? are the alloy ones longer than the ones for steel ?

sometimes the wheel bolts can protrude too far through the hub iether rusting due to exposed thread and stripping the thread out the hub on removal or damaging handbrake gear in rear hubs or ABS reluctor rings