2000 Audi A6 2.4 Tiptronic - Tapping Engin noise - ZhaneC

Hi.

I just got my car back from a repair shop after an accident on my front right hand fender (corner), got suspension fixed, controll arms replaced. What's worring me though is the intermittent tapping noise that's coming from the engin as it idles. It sounds as a loose bolt, knocking against something, I have tried to find out where its coming from by using a stethoscope, listened to various areas, parts to no avail. Could you please give me some possible leads before I take it to the dealer. The car drives fine, the noise does not get worse with higher revolutions, it stays constant. Any suggestions?, highly appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Edited by ZhaneC on 29/10/2010 at 04:30

2000 Audi A6 2.4 Tiptronic - Tapping Engin noise - Peter D

You say tapping noise but is that really true. The evac valve mounted by the top of the RHS strut tapps/click at idel when it is purginging the carbon filter it matches the rpm ad idle/ 1200 rpm then stops. Does it most on cold damp mornings and long park ups. You can feel the vlve and feel it pulse so you may be able to match it to your noise. Regards Peter

2000 Audi A6 2.4 Tiptronic - Tapping Engin noise - ZhaneC

Thanks Peter, I'll have this checked by an Audi Technician to put my mind at ease.