private parking- a new way forward? - concrete

Given all the recent discussion about this topic, it seems clear that a simple method needs to be applied to this problem, which could please the majority. This would need the cooperation of all concerned, the land owners, parking companies and motorists. This I see as the sticking point, will the parking companies be keen in case it endangers their revenues? However the land owners employ them and as such can dictate the terms. Simply we all pay up front a nominal charge to park the car. Maximum 4 hours, the first 2 hours would be free and the whole fee is refunded when you pay for your shopping at the retailer involved if you are within the 2 hours. The fee is not refunded if you go beyond 2 hours up to 4 hours. If you go over 4 hours you are caught at the till and pay extra parking at a set rate per 1/2 hour over, up to 6 hours. Over 6 hours you taking the p*** or something very unfortunate has occured, either way you are then obliged to pay a late charge, which would be worth taking to court because the situation is in favour of the land owner/parking enforcer. It is not perfect and always someone will abuse it but it does meet the needs of the majority of fair minded people. The parking companies can make there share by monitoring the car parks, collecting the cast from meters and enforcing charges that they have a good chance of winning. The land owners/retailers get happier customers too, how many now avoid certain retailers because of private parking problems? As I said not perfect but you cannot legislate for every eventuality. Sensible comments and suggestion are most welcome. Cheers Concrete

private parking- a new way forward? - Dutchie

Good thinking but there will be a lot of aggro if anybody is five minutes over the two hrs and you have just spend over hundred pound in the supermarket.Our shopping centre has a max of two hrs for shopping in the supermarket.The top carpark you have to pay both carparks are always very busy on a weekend.I remember a driver was ticketed once by being over the allotted time of two hrs by about ten minutes .She went to the papers and the supermarket backed down.When the supermarket first opened you could park all day but this was spoiled by drivers who did't shop at the market.You mention extra charges when over the time stated but how much would that be? Supermarket don't like losing customers and if they did due to extra charges I think they would soon stop it.Shopping centers in my opinion shoud be free of parking charges like in Sheffield Meadowhall .Regarding pubs and other places with clamping signs I dont go .My suggestion would be have meters and charge and see what happens what the customer will do or have free parking every where in shopping centers,

private parking- a new way forward? - concrete

Thanks Dutchie, like I said it is impossible to cater for every situation. Where the parking is solely for a particular business i.e Tesco and it is near a town centre it is only right they protect their parking for genuine customers. Around here 2 hours like that is £2 refundable, but if you have spent £100 and are over by ten minutes then they may wish to charge you 50p or they may use comman sense and call it a draw. I don't know all the answers but at least all these charges are up front and you decide when you enter the car park if you wish to stay or not. Where the car park is for a Mall with lots of business then they should take the hit and it should be free or just a nominal charge, around here that type of charge is £1.50p for 2 hours, more for more time. Again it is up front charges, but you still have to leave after your allotted time, or else! At least this would drive the unscrupulous private parking cowboys out of business and we would all be happier. Cheers Concrete

private parking- a new way forward? - Dutchie

Hello Concrete

Again what you are saying makes a lot of sense,These cowboys have a vested interest in keeping this going.There is a argument that if you park on somebodys private property you are looking for trouble.There have been a lot of discussions about this and like you are saying a lot of people would be happier if this problem got sorted ones and for all.I believe there is some new legislation coming out soon regarding finding people over £250 and directing them to cash machines or clamping there cars.There was a situation here four lads in a car where just about to be clamped.They got out the car big lads and the clamper scarped.Thats how much the law is behind them they are bullys.Good at putting the fear into old people and women.

Cheesrs Concrete as they say peace be with you.