Village Vigilantes - Pica

In my area there are quite a lot of civilian volunteers who can sometimes be seen with yellow jackets, homemade looking signs (community speed watch) and an official looking speed gun.

If you get reported by one of these people I understand they pass the number plate to the Police and they may make a visit but can you actually get prosecuted on their say so? I have noticed the operators near me shoot at everything that travels down the road whether they are speeding or not (including cars, joggers, cyclists, invalid carts etc).

I only ask as my V8 car has quite a loud exhaust and it always get their attention even though I may only be travelling at 20 MPH.

Village Vigilantes - Dwight Van Driver

I know of no Police Force that prosecutes from these sessions by civilians.

Generally speeders reported back to base and a letter sent to offender. Stats collated and if problem highlighed the heavy gang (Plod) called in for full enforcement.

Latest 16% cut may mean more of this activity.

dvd

Village Vigilantes - Dutchie

Hello,It would't bother me I suppose they only trying to help out keeping the area safe.Iam not sure about procecution regarding breaking the law,have you rang the police and asked what the volunteers rights are they might give you a answer.If your exhaust is that loud I would do something about it .

I am not bothered either and my exhaust passes the MOT each year so I am fine with its sound. I also think these vigilaties are making the cars slow down so that is also good.

The negative side to me is the shooters think they have a lot of power (more than they probably do have) so I am interested in what amount of power/enforcement they do actually have.

I would guess they have no powers,just a presence and deterrent they are not the police.But i think you know that,I would have a word with them and find out what there powers are.Have you had a lot of accidents where you live what is the reason they are there.?

Village Vigilantes - LucyBC
They have no power and no prosecution can result. They can act as a deterrent so people think about their speed.

It is not commonly known but you cannot be prosecuted for speeding on the uncorroborated word of a police officer. It has to be backed up with a calibrated device.

So while a traffic car will have a calibrated speedometer and can be used as corroboration, a normal police car will not and the uncalibrated speedometer cannot be used in evidence.
Village Vigilantes - Dwight Van Driver

>>>> It has to be backed up with a calibrated device. <<<<<<L

Not necessarily true Lucy.

Two officers stood together forming an opinion vehicle speeding has been held to be sufficient.

RTRA does not mention that only Police can be involved in detection. It only mentions that for the offence of speeding corroboration required. So civilians who measure out a distance with certified rule , form an opinion vehicle speeding and uses a stop watch which confirms can obtain the evidence required to prove the offence of speeding. Not that this has been used but I submit it is valid.

>>>>>So while a traffic car will have a calibrated speedometer and can be used as corroboration, a normal police car will not and the uncalibrated speedometer cannot be used in evidence. <<<<<<

Not true Lucy

Been held that a normal uncalibrated speedo in a Panda car is OK to prove speed.

dvd

Many thanks for all your input I feel much more informed now

A bit of sarcasm there I feel you can't please everybody.