peugeot 406glx 1.9td estate - Loss of power after 2000rpm [or so] - StaplerUk

Hi found this place after alot of searching, So hope someone out there can give me a clue as too what is going on.

Had the car just under a yr with no real problems, That was until about 5 weeks ago in 3rd gear the car seems really flat.

1st gear pulls away from junctions etc fine

2nd gear also seems ok

3rd gear once i hit about 2000rpm [or thereabouts] the rpm will go higher but car wont accelerate, If i drop the rpm back down to about 2000rpm it cruises along fine.

The same goes for 4th gear, cruises along on flat road no problem, soon as i put foot down when i hit a bit of a hill rpm needle goes upto and over 3000rpm but no acceleration.

Ive been searching for answers and only real things that has given me a clue is

A: clutch slipping [but there is good bite when pulling off etc]

B: Turbo not kicking in

Any help would be appericated, and sorry for long post.

Thanks

peugeot 406glx 1.9td estate - Loss of power after 2000rpm [or so] - Collos25

Its probably going into limp home mode causes are numerous common causes are egr,turbo,maf,air leak.

All of which mean nothing to me, Took it too a chap i know and he tried a diognostic on it but [in my simpleton term] it wouldnt communicate with the car so couldnt perform one, which is typical.

I will pass on any information received onto my mate so as to give him a clue.

One thing i have noticed dont know if it rings any bells with anyone, When i first got the car even on tick over and at random times there would be what i describe a "spit" noise coming from down by front driver side, It boggled me for ages but someone said it was the turbo ? dont know how true that is, But this "spit" noise has now gone!

Drove the car when this problem first rasied its head about 4 weeks ago to minehead sommerset [about 3hr drive] and got us there and back no problem, On the motorway that is, Soon as we hit the hilly part of the journey it was juice guzzle time as we had to hit 2nd quite a bit.

Thanks for any help

Oh well looks like its the clutch afterall.

Done 2 tests

1. 2nd gear with handbrake on, trying to pull off should have stalled the car..It didnt

2. 4th gear handbrake off, pulled off as if it were first gear, it should have stalled!

off to scrapyard it goes in the morning :-(

Edited by StaplerUk on 20/10/2010 at 23:18

peugeot 406glx 1.9td estate - Loss of power after 2000rpm [or so] - Collos25

Its not a difficult job or to expensive to put a new clutch in the car it depends on its overall condition as to whether is worth it.