Polishing a Land Rover - Rob C
I have a curious urge to strip down my old Series III and do various restoration things, but if I strip the paint and polish the aluminium (or aluminum for the Americans) how long will it last, and will it end up looking like an old saucepan?
Polishing a Land Rover - NormanB
Hi Rob

No experience of this myself and I think you are taking on quite a project. I would have thought you will need to lacquer on completion of burnishing otherwise it will dull as it oxidises particularly in the UK climate.

Try it on an old panel half laquered/half not and leave it in the garden for a month ?!

Good luck

NormanB
I'll try.
Laquer as in a spray can of Laquer?

I remember an old Land Rover advert with a polished Landy.
Polishing a Land Rover - NormanB
"Laquer as in a spray can of Laquer?"

Rob

Afraid I will bow out there as I have no specific experience to draw upon - I was just talking in general terms.

Regards

NormanB
Polishing a Land Rover - Jonathan {p}
Are you asking if a delorean style pinky will look good?

Does it matter, if it doesn't just get the hammerite out and paint it again.
Polishing a Land Rover - Ian Cook
Oo, er - we need David W on this one. He's found bits of a Landie's anatomy that Rover haven't got names for.
;o)

Ian Cook
Polishing a Land Rover - M.M
David W\'s not the only one who\'s ever owned an old Land Rover you know!

By chance I was looking at an old one yesterday where large areas were down to bare alloy after bumps and scrapes. It had been like this for over two years and the finish was still quite bright. It \"looked\" like the first stage of factory painting might be a clear primer/coating.

Land Rover did do a polished vehicle for promotional purposes a couple of times, I remember seeing a late Series III around 1983 like this.

I\'d stick to Dulux and a roller like the rest of them.

MM
Polishing a Land Rover - Dwight Van Driver
Funny you say roller and Dulux MM. I once stopped a Diddycoy in his flat back up near Darlington. The vehicle was fawn coloured and the depth of paint tremendous as looking at it was akin to looking in a mirror. On being asked how he managed the shine he told me that he had used Dulux gloss paint, very numerous coats and a roller brush.
Having said that I am not advocating that anyone should do the same.

DVD
Polishing a Land Rover - Slice
I have a Scimitar with unlacquered Cobra alloy wheels. If left unwaxed after de-oxidising the surface will start to oxidise almost immediately, especially in winter.

I use a product called AluMagic which combines an abrasive to remove the oxidisation with a wax to protect the newly shiny surface. This will give maybe a couple of months protection in winter - longer in summer, but it would probably take a couple of months to do an entire Land Rover!
Polishing a Land Rover - madf
I had a Rover 75 with aluminium doors. The paint had chipped along the bottoms and white aluminium oxide had formed. Should repaint using a special primer. As I was a student I used gloss paint (name escapes me). Looked very nice..

(Car cost £45 and ran 30,000 miles and 3 years. The front bench seat with column gear change made it ideally suited to various nocturnal activities --- those were the days:-)
madf
Mind you, even if I keep it polished, it's going to look pretty odd with the basic wheels, I'll have to lash out on a set of US style chrome wheels.:-)
Polishing a Land Rover - doctorchris
London Transport once left an aluminium bodied Routemaster (bus) unpainted for a while to see how it endured. Trouble is, i'm not sure what the outcome was but as the idea was not adopted over the whole fleet I suspect it was not a great success.
Doctorchris
Polishing a Land Rover - eric's son
there's a beautiful sII parked near me that appears completely unpainted, and lives on the street rain or shine.
L.R.O.International magazine had an article about this specific topic some time during 2002... they might be the ones to contact
Polishing a Land Rover - Mondaywoe
A friend of hours (ex army) used to say he used diesel oil to polish his car (old Rover) I tried the same trick on my dad's Landy as a boy - worked a treat - don't know what it did to the paintwork!

Graeme
Polishing a Land Rover - Dave_TD
Re the subjecy title here.
Isn't the phrase "You can't polish a..." Oh no, that was something completely different...
Arrghh! Burn the heretic.

Talk that that would get you fed to the pigs in some parts of Yorkshire.
Polishing a Land Rover - Dave_TD
I was only teasing...

I'm surprised no-one's poked fun at MY choice of car on here yet...