Car history check - not guaranteed - andymc {P}
I was looking at a used Merc and decided to get a history check carried out on it through a well known motoring organisation. Cost £35 and the confirmation paperwork arrived in the post today, which said it was clean. There was a disclaimer that the information was not guaranteed outside of mainland Britain, ie not Northern Ireland (where I live) or the Channel Isles, etc.
Why should this be? Is this standard practice across all such organisations, - AA, HPI, What Car, etc?

Didn't buy the Merc, btw - looked like it had been repaired after an accident, although nothing was recorded in the data check so probably didn't go through insurance. Nail in the coffin was that it had had a new fuel pump after just 90000 miles - probably a thanks to lots of bleached red diesel, if so injectors will be next. Also, 3 new tyres seemed a bit odd - why not two, or four? Or is that reasonable in an 8-year old car?

Incidentally, from this site I had printed out the list of standard things to check on a used car and having that to hand was very useful indeed, so thanks for the help HJ. Now about to check out a 6-year old 525 TD, asking price £3950, with same!
Car history check - not guaranteed - Mike H
The car might only have needed three new tyres because the 4th might have been replaced at a different time to the recently-replaced tyres following a puncture. If it was only half worn, I'm afraid that I would not have replaced it for the sake of it. I have ended up in this situation a number of times. In the past, before spacesaver spares, I might have bought the full set & kept the one with plenty of life in it as a spare.

Can't answer any of the rest of your questions as I have no experience of using a car history check.
Car history check - not guaranteed - martint123
"looked like it had been repaired after an accident, although nothing was recorded in the data check so probably didn't go through insurance"

It's only recorded if the vehicle has been written off by the insurance (and then some other party repairs it and puts it back on the road).

Why are these checks so expensive? Is it the insurance they pay if they 'guarantee' the information. I got a cardata check for 9 quid - history but no HPI or mileage - good enough for me, vin/engine nr etc.

Martin
Car history check - not guaranteed - Nick C
Martin,
I recently sold my MR2 to a trade dealer who wanted it for his wife. He had a HPI check done and it cost him... wait for it!.....£2. Same check as Joe Bloggs who phones up and pays £35.
As part of the deal I used him to do a check on the car I bought. Saved me £33.

Nick
Car history check - not guaranteed - martint123
Cheers Nick, I'll bear that in mind next time I'm searching for a replacement, must be worth a backhander - cheers
Car history check - not guaranteed - madf
Save money on checks: use the internet. Cheaper than phone.

UK checks do NOT cover Eire or non UK.. or even at times N Ireland (my son bought one ex NI.. no history at all)

madf