Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.25 2004 - Ford Fiesta makes a whirring sound on engine start - Venkman

My Ford Fiesta Finesse make a, "whirring sound" on engine start, I assume it is the starter motor, but it is not igniting. After several attempts, the car does start. The fault seems to only happen when the weather is cold/wet, and seems to be happening more often now we are moving in to winter. Initially the fault happen in May/June 2010, then did not happen again for a couple of months, any ideas?

Thanks

Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.25 2004 - Ford Fiesta makes a whirring sound on engine start - Peter.N.

Is this something different to the sound the starter normally makes?

Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.25 2004 - Ford Fiesta makes a whirring sound on engine start - Venkman

Usually the engine just starts straight away, ignition is immediate, but when the fault occurs whilst the key is at ignition, the whirring occurs with no engine start, until the key is released to the normal position when the engine is not on, and the whirring stops.

To properly answer your question, I'm not sure of the normal sound of a starter motor as usually it ignites every time, Im just assuming its the starter, sorry I didnt make that clear.

Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.25 2004 - Ford Fiesta makes a whirring sound on engine start - piston power

Approx £45.00 for a starter exchange plus fitting but a easy job if you can use a spanner?

Check the flywheel is ok were you remove it is the teeth still there or worn away?

Im not too handy with cars and spanners Im afraid, but you reckon its likely a new starter required? Why would it work in dry conditions and not in wet?

Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.25 2004 - Ford Fiesta makes a whirring sound on engine start - piston power

Damp weather is the pain in the back side to cars im afraid and damp weather on clutches causes judder but not in dry weather and electrical components like you starter motor takes a lot of current to get the solonoid to move over.

In the old days you may have heard of a distributor cap? Damp in this and no car would start.