Ford Ka - Garag Scam - ruxley

My car has just been with a nation wide company for a service. Got a call that front discs were below minimum and brake pads 65% worn and they could replace if I gave them the go ahead (£176). I said I would leave it thanks and took it to another garage. They said the discs were well withing spec and the pads had over 50% meat left. Is this type of scam a criminal offence?

Ford Ka - Garag Scam - Collos25

It should be.

Ford Ka - Garag Scam - Robin the Technician

If you have it confirmed in writing from the offending garage, you should contact Trading Standards. If the second repairer is prepared to confirm the condition of your brakes which contradicts what the first garage qouted you, then send it all off. Trading Standards can investigate further. you may wish to discuss it with the Service Manager of the offending garage to ask for his comments........

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

Ford Ka - Garag Scam - mastertechGeoff

All discs have a minimum measurement, to be honest the quality of brake discs nowadays means that they do wear quickly, however did your 2nd garage measure them correctly ? What about the run-out ? did they also check with a dti gauge ? anyhow £170 for replacment is quite expensive, shop around when the pads are down to 25% Don't let it get much lower as the material also helps transmit the heat away from the brakes, if they get too hot you can also have problems with calipers sticking,/binding later on.

Ford Ka - Garag Scam - 1litregolfeater

I once took my car to a "nation wide" company, if I get your drift. Took it for an exhaust back box, was young and naive. They battered the cat with a hammer and told me I needed a new one. I wasn't that stupid so I watched while he replaced the back box.

They still kept telling me I needed a new cat so I let them get one in, what a bunch of criminals.

The unhappy experience put me off the fitting firms, forever.