Volvo 2.5 D SE,2000 Estate - Diagnostic tool for Volvo Estate readers - john3.16

I bought a can OBD 11 meter reader on E-bay for Volvo and it has the same16 pin but the dealers must have put a plastic security piece in as now I can't get the pin in to get a correct communication any one now how to help here.What can I do ? As quickfit took a reading last week but when it came back from the dealers they said only their readers work on it.Help required please any suggestions?

Edited by john3.16 on 24/09/2010 at 15:09

Volvo 2.5 D SE,2000 Estate - Diagnostic tool for Volvo Estate readers - Foreigner500

I'm not really sure why you can't physically get the plug into the socket. Its a standard connection, and that standard is enforced as part of the OBD-II requirements.

Correctly reading it is another matter; firstly it wil be a generic OBD II reader and as such will only read generic codes. There are two issues with that;

Firstly there are manufacturer specific codes (usually begin with a "1") that the generic reader will simply not give you.

Secondly it will not give you the Volvo specifc definitions/terms and the generic terms may confuse you - e.g. Solenoid "A" is actually Solenoid "SL". etc,

When Volvo say that only their readers work, that's not true. It is true that their readers will give you more specific codes and defintiions, but your reader will almost certainly work. However for the most par the standard codes case frequenlty be translated well enough.

1) So can you physicaly plug your reader in?

2) what codes do the dealer tell you exist?

3)What read out are you getting from your own reader?

4) What actually is the fault with the car?

And finally, its a Volvo. Go here... http://www.volvoforums.org.uk

They may have a heart attack at the thought of recommending another forum, so in the event link that gets deleted just hunt around for a manufacturer specific forum, there are only two that matter.

F500

Volvo 2.5 D SE,2000 Estate - Diagnostic tool for Volvo Estate readers - injection doc
a year 2000 diesel volvo will most likley not be EOBD complient as diesels didn't become EOBD complient till 2003/4 so using an EOBD code reader will not work. Only petrols became complient arond 2000
Volvo 2.5 D SE,2000 Estate - Diagnostic tool for Volvo Estate readers - Foreigner500

That's a good point which I forgot. The only thing I would add is that those dates are from when it *WILL* be compliant.

It can be that a car from before those dates *MAY* be compliant, particularly if it is sold in the States. Clearly the further you go back the less likely it is to be compliant, and the presence of that socket is not a guarantee. Even where it has that plug it may not be a standard it or function.

You'll need to check your specific car, but your chances aren't great. Not zero, but not great.

Volvo 2.5 D SE,2000 Estate - Diagnostic tool for Volvo Estate readers - Railroad.

a year 2000 diesel volvo will most likley not be EOBD complient as diesels didn't become EOBD complient till 2003/4 so using an EOBD code reader will not work. Only petrols became complient arond 2000

To be precise vehicles intended for use in the UK had by law to be European On Board Diagnostics (EOBD) compliant on 1 January 2001 for petrol engine passenger cars and light vans, and 1 January 2004 for diesel engines. Some manufacturers however were compliant before this date, and EOBD scan tools will work on them. In the USA all cars and light vans with gasoline engines had to be OBD II compliant by 1 January 1996.

It should be remembered that EOBD applies to engine emission related data only, and and they do provide lots of very useful information. To expect your EOBD scanner to check for vehicle specific fault codes or to check ABS, HVAC or Airbag modules will only leave the user disappointed.

Volvo 2.5 D SE,2000 Estate - Diagnostic tool for Volvo Estate readers - john3.16

thanks for the advice and help,I've sent back the reader I bought because I tested it on our vauxhall and the error comunication code appeared again so it obviously doesn't work on either car.