astra ll Astra EI think - heater plugs - rustyrims

I found this site by putting the problem into a search engine. My car has had a bit of a hard time due to a mechanic, I use the title loosely, doing a service for the previous owner and connected the fuel lines back to front. It took a long time to find this problem so the car has had long periods of being cranked over, but once the lines were connected correctly, starting was fine. This was when I bought the car and a gradual difficulty in starting developed. The heater coil lights only come on very briefly and the engine cranks over for 5 to 10 seconds before starting. the longer I leave it, the worse it is. For example, I left the car for three days and it flattened the battery trying to start it . With a jump start it went and clouds, and I mean clouds, of black smoke belched out for a few seconds, impressing my neighbours enormously. Any ideas any one?

astra ll Astra EI think - heater plugs - Peter D

It may not be the glow plugs but air getting into the fuel line and the fuel draining back to the tank, thus the longer you leave it the worse the problem. You can test the plugs with a meter if you disconnect them and measure their resistance. An ohm or less is a nominal value for each one. I use a DC currect clamp and measure the current drawn by each one. Regards Peter

astra ll Astra EI think - heater plugs - jc2

Sounds very much like air-particularly as the fuel lines have been disturbed.

The first time I brimmed the tank there was a very strong smell of deisel and guessing that "meachanic" had been at the fuel pump I found the seal was'nt seated. I've been told air leaks are hard to find so I'll have to drive it every day.

Thanks Peter. I suspected as much from reading other posts and speaking to an ex mechanic at work.