MINI Countryman - Pat L

We went to see the new MINI Countryman at a 'launch' event at local dealers yesterday. This was with a view to replacing my wife's car. I have to say I was initially quite shocked to see how big the car is in the flesh - it's a lot bigger and beefier than the other MINI models. But it was nice, very nice. And beautifully built imo. An example in Cosmic Blue with cream leather was simply stunning.

So we sat down with a very friendly and non-pushy salesman and discussed the sort of car we'd want (diesel, part-time 4wd, leather and one or two other options) and the cost of the car came out at £24k. Seems a lot for a car of that size. Not much chance of discount either I would imagine.

My wife didn't like the look of the car so in theory it's off the list, but I was mightily impressed and am tempted to book a test drive.

Has anyone else seen or driven this car? What do think? HJ likes it.

MINI Countryman - bazza

it depends entirely if you want to buy into the MINI brand, I would say. Huge amount of dosh really isn't it. If all you need is part time 4x4 and some space, there are much cheaper ways of doing it - with less "style" or brand image.

My own opinion is it's a triumph of form over function and designed to reel in MINI owners who would like bigger but are keen on the badge.

MINI Countryman - Avant

Minis do seem expensive, and you have to be careful with the options list ( I agree £24k is too much for a Mini give what else you can get for that price).

But they hold their value better than most. SWMBO is on her third, on 2-year PCPs, and both the first two were worth 80 % of initial cost after nearly two years.

I'm not sure that the Countryman will sell well: it's difficult to say exactly what the appeal of the Mini is - maybe the best word to describe it is 'chic'. The hatch and convertible are chic to most people's eyes, but to describe the ungainly Countryman thus would be pushing it.