citroen berlingo - PLS
While I know it does not have much street credibility, I have been giving admiring glances toward the Citroen Berlingo HDi. Before I take things further has anyone owned one long enough to give a proper assessment? Many thanks.
citroen berlingo - Ben79
Jeremy Clarkson said a lot of nice things about the Berlingo Multispace. If you are looking to buy new, according to HJ, you can't get a HDI new. I saw the new Berlingo at the motorshow, optional air con, cruise control, cd player etc. It was nice. The HDI engine is sweet, my dad has just bought a Picasso HDI with the same engine, and at 2,000 miles it is great and would be hard to see how it could run in and get any better.

Ben
citroen berlingo - micha
I have had a Berlingo HDi for 6 months now (5000 miles).
Experience so far is almost exclusively positive. The engine pulls powerfully from 1500, runs smoothly, economically and is not too loud. Gearbox helps to keep revs low, top speed is reached at only 3500 rpm. I know of drivers who would have preferred shorter gears, but I am happy with them.
The car is extremely good value for money, spacious, high position of seats, convenient sliding doors ...
Tell me if you need further indormation.

Micha
citroen berlingo - terryb
SWMBO has a 1.9D on a Y plate.

Very impressive value for money and although the normally-aspirated diesel is a bit sluggish on take-off, wind it up on the motorway and it'll cruise at 80 all day.

She carries a lot of stuff for her work and it swallows it all with no problem. All the little storage places in the cabin are amazingly useful. It carries 4 big adults comfortably and the view forward from the back seat is particularly good.

She's a very low mileage driver with many short runs, so we make a point of giving it a motorway blast when we visit her mother 130 miles away.

Apart from the strap for pulling the tailgate down coming away in our hands at an early stage we've had no trouble with it. Now find me some wood to touch!

Terry
citroen berlingo - Macker
I had a Peugeot Partner 2.0Hdi (The Van) for 2 years. Same as Citroen Berlingo. I did 60k miles in that time including a run down to Italy and back again. MPG overall averaged 48 (not that aerodynamic). Good turn of speed but you need to be in the right gear to make progress (5th is the most flexible so that's easy)

As it was a van I think the gearing was different to the passenger version so 1st was a bit short.

Problems were few. Sticking clutch pedal sorted with a new spring. Back drum brakes used to sieze and make the thing unwieldy to stop (Strange as it was used everyday) took a couple of visits to to the garage to sort.

Great view over traffic from the high seated position - you could see road situations well in advance.

I miss it!!

citroen berlingo - Bromptonaut
Not sure i follow the comment above about the HDI no longer available new. But having both XUD and HDI Citpugs over the years either will do you proud, less convinced by the petrol engines though.
citroen berlingo - Macker
Part II

Sorry for the delayed reaction!!

I forgot to mention. The driving position could muck up your back. The pedals are offset (just like the 206 thread in Discussion) so beware of backpain if you drive loadsa miles.

citroen berlingo - PLS
Thanks for all the helpful comments. From local enquiries the 2002 Hdi is like "rocking horse......". I may have to wait for the 2003 model to arrive at the local showroom.
citroen berlingo - Ben79
I have just seen the new Berlingo van in the dealer's showroom today. Does anybody know if the seating position is different between the van and car?

Ben