Honda Jazz, Toyota Auris, Mazda 3 - Cars on my shortlist - Glenn 42

Hello, these are the cars I am considering when my 55 plate Nissan goes in a few months time. ( There's nothing in the Nissan range I fancy and Nissan's quality isn't as good as 10 years ago),

The Jazz is top of my list as it has an exemplary reliability and the new model is falling into my price range ( about 7k). Is the Jazz as good as everyone says as its legendary reliability, tardis like interior, 50 plus mpg economy and punchy engines sway me towards it and, much as I like the stylish Civic, it's still out of my range.

Then there is the Toyota Auris. Maybe not as trendy as Honda products, but 08 1.4 models are selling for £7k at the Carlisle dealership and again reliability, excellent resale and dealer quality sway me towards these. Also I like the ergonomics and the aluminium effect dash and semi digital instruments. ( May also consider a Yaris with the new 1.33 stop start engine).

A bit more sporty and trendy than the Auris, I have a soft spot for the Mazda 3. Mazda are due to appoint a dealer in Workington and I am tempted as most Mazda owners love their cars performance, styling and reliability. Which age or type of 3 would I get for 7k?

Honda Jazz, Toyota Auris, Mazda 3 - Cars on my shortlist - Avant

I think I'd go for the Jazz on balance, although all 3 promise to be reliable provided you avoid a Mazda diesel.

The Jazz is quite lively though I wouldn't call it sporty: the liveliness (of the 1.4) comes from low gearing - at least on the pre-facelift one - which is less good news on motorways, when it can be buzzy. If you can afford a post-facelift model, and don't mind the 'uncool' image it has among young people, you could do very well.

Best to try an Auris 1.4 and see if it has enough performance for you: a 1.6 might be better and not much less economical. My elder daughter is on her fourth 1.3 Yaris - all have been excellent over high annual mileages, and the latest 1.33 has 6 gears and only £35 VED. If you don't need the extra room and can afford the new model it could be a good bet.

Mazda 3 - my only experience of this was as a hire car in South Africa: we were told it was a 1.6 but it was gutless and boring to drive. Maybe it wasn't a 1.6 but no doubt you'll try one and see for yourself.

Edited by Avant on 18/09/2010 at 22:07

Honda Jazz, Toyota Auris, Mazda 3 - Cars on my shortlist - turbo11

In 2007 whilst looking for a new car for my wife, we test drove a number of cars including the Mazda 3 and the Jazz. She liked the handling of both although the Mazda had a much better ride/ handling balance than the jazz and a bigger boot for the pram, buggy etc.We found the 195/65 tyre profile on the TS gave a more comfortable ride than the 205/55's on the TS2 spec. SWMBO also didn't like the "old granny" image of the jazz, as around our area they are certainly popular with pensioners.The 1.6 TS Mazda 3 my wife purchased in April 07 has been totally reliable(not even a bulb changed), has covered 31,000 miles so far.Is still on its original Yokohama tyres. rides well and is plenty quick enough. I would certainly reccommend one, get a face lifted one (post 2006). You should be able to get a 57 reg 1.6 TS for around 6K

Honda Jazz, Toyota Auris, Mazda 3 - Cars on my shortlist - Glenn 42

Actually I'm 42, so the youthful, trendy image isn't so important LOL. The Mazda 3 is the trendiest of the bunch and the 1.6 petrol seems to have the right balance between economy and performance. I shall see when the new dealership opens what the prices are like.