My 414 finally dead. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
It is with great sadness I announce the death of the Rover. [1]

After over 3 years and well over 25,000 miles it got very hot today near Southampton.

There's plenty of water and the water pump is fine. Could be the thermostat but the change in shade of the water in the expansion chamber hinted at oil/exhaust contamination.

Must be the head gasket.

It came home on a RAC lorry and will be emptied of camping kit etc before undergoing one last journey to the scrappie. (I *hope* it'll go 1/2 mile without siezing.)

The car has been brilliant. Competing in road rallies and doing regular 1000 mile weekend jaunts. However, it's like a loved elderly relative - shame it's gone but 140,000 miles and 12 years is a good innings so no need to be sad.

It's also been good enough to conk out just before it's MOT saving me the hasssle of deciding whether to scrap or test.

So on Friday and Saturday I will be searching for a sub 1k banger to replace it. Preferably with a recent cam belt and 12 months MOT. A local Mondeo looks like a possible. Otherwise it'll be the bargain trade in's at local dealers and the free ads.

Cavalier is top of my wish list and I'd welcome suggestions to the floor.

No flowers, but donations to "Tab of Toad Hall, The Red Lion, Lewes".

Tab, geddit!

[1] ;-)
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
My 414 finally dead. - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

And where does the Hurricane fit into the scheme of things?
My 414 finally dead. - Blue {P}
Cavalier. Pah! The Mondy is a much better car, very good mechanically although some are looking a bit tatty now, unmatching bumpers etc....
My 414 finally dead. - Dynamic Dave
TOTH,

If you go for the Cavalier, get one with the 2litre, 8valve engine. Simple to work on, plenty of grunt, and will leave most other 2litre cars of the same class/era standing. However, if you get a newer one with a cat convertor, go for the 2litre, 16valve as the cat zaps the power on the 8valve.

Early 1.8litre, 16valves were prone to engine failure.
The 1.6litre, 8valve unit is too underpowered.
If you can afford the petrol, the 2½litre, 16valve is a real hooligan.
the 2½litre, 16valve

Oh for an edit key!
Ctrl/alt/del

should read 24 valves as it's a 6 cylinder engine.
DD. The 1.6 and 1.8 can have their clutches changed in situ. That out weighs the advantages of extra power to me.

What engine probs did the 1.8 have? Were they bad enough to avoid the engine all together?

Any flaws I should look for in the Mondeo?
--
DD. The 1.6 and 1.8 can have their clutches changed in
situ. That out weighs the advantages of extra power to me.

So can the 2.0.
What engine probs did the 1.8 have? Were they bad enough
to avoid the engine all together?

Camshaft probs I believe. Only the 16v ones though. Trying to remember if Vaux actually fitted the 16v to the Cavs, I might be getting confused with the early 1.8, 16v Vectras.
Any flaws I should look for in the Mondeo?

Yes, it's a Fix Or Repair Daily. :o)
My 414 finally dead. - John S
DD

Yes, you're right late Cavaliers (M, N plate) were available with the 2.0 16v engine, but not 1.8 16v. The other advantage of all these later Cavaliers is the fact they had ABS as standard. Few early Mondeos have this, unless they are high spec models.

Regards

John S
My 414 finally dead. - Ian (Cape Town)
It is with great sadness I announce the death of the
Rover. [1]...

No flowers, but donations to "Tab of Toad Hall, The Red
Lion, Lewes".

Once again, impeccable bad-timing from the Toad.
Had the Rover packed in 2 weeks ago, you could have included it in a symbolic Viking Funeral at the Bonfire Night celebrations...

A Prescott 'Guy' would have added extra realism.
My 414 finally dead. - Alf
Toad,
Congratulations on getting 140K out of a 414, whats the secret?
My wifes 1995 214 16v has had a new fuel tank(rust), a new clutch, new alternator, new starter motor not to mention at least 3 cranshaft sensors and all at 70K. I'm just lucky I guess.(not to mention a ghostly coolant leak with a mind of its own).

However, the Cavalier 2.0 8v which it replaced had 170k on it did almost 40mpg on a run and apart from a clutch at 100k (easy in-situ job, all I ever did was put petrol in it. It was still going great guns until my wife wrote it off! (heavy on the front tyres though).

May your new steed be as impeccable as your last.

Regards,

Alf
Dynamic Dave - Thanks mate! Will try to go for 8v 1.8 or 2litre Cav. I love em anyway!

Alf - Secret of long life form a 414 is thrash it! They love it! Lot's or road rallies; salt water from windsurfing kit; overloading with mates on lunchtime pub trips.

Your 95 sounds unlucky. Mine's done 27k and 3 years with *very* little cash spent. There *are* problems (search prev Back Room comments) but mines been great! Fantastic car.

Thanks for your good wishes! Cavalier it is!
--
Cavalier it is!

Remember to take a good look at the rear wheel arches - particularly on the edges nearest the rear doors. That was the only vunerable place for rust on both my Mk3's.
Many thanks Dynamic!!!

Will check there!
--