Pug 205 - Phil Clarke
i own a 1987 peugeot 205 1.1 and have just changed the engine. It is running, and it starts fine, but has very very little power, and in neutral or with clutch to floor, when accelorater is pressed, it doesn't rev anything like as much as it should. I've tried everthing i can think of such as distributer and making sure all the plugs are ok, but want to know if there is anything i can try before sending it in to see about pressure/exact timing. Any help on the matter is much appreciated.
Re: Pug 205 - Brian
May be a silly query, but is the accelerator fully opening the throttle? Could be the cable has slipped if the clamp has not been fully tightened.
Re: Pug 205 - John Slaughter
Phil

You mention exact timing. Have you checked that the timing is right?

You'd get the symptoms you mention if the timing was seriously retarded.

Regards

John
Re: Pug 205 - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
My guess is that although the ignition timing may be correct the cam timing maybe out a tooth or two. Did you fit a new one prior to fitting the engine?
Re: Pug 205 - Andrew Tarr
I guess a 205 of this age should have a chain, not a belt, but presumably the replacement engine is post-88 ?
Re: Pug 205 - Phil T
Have experienced similar problems on a 405 1.6 after 'head off' work. Turned out ot be a carb problem. Tried local garages - pretty hopeless. Best advice is to take it to Pug dealership and get them to give it check over (I don't work for one, so not on commission for them).