High Mileage Golf VR6 and Polo problems - Epic 80
I am considering purchasing a 96 Golf VR6 Highline with 107000 miles. It was previously owned by a leasing company. Does anybody know what potential problems i may encounter with a car of this mileage? On the testdrive, the heater fan and electric windows did not function, but the dealer suggested it was because he had steam cleaned the car 1 hour previously. Half an hour laterm the heater fan worked, but not the windows. He assures me they will be fixed if i buy. SHould i walk away?

My current car is a 98 Polo 1,4. Often, particularly in wet weather, when i release the throttle to let the engine settle to idle (eg approaching a roundabout) the engine stops. Any ideas what this may be? I have flushed it through with Redex, which works for about a week, then the problem returns.
High Mileage Golf VR6 and Polo problems - Epic 80
Also does anyone know if there is any difference in suspension between the normal and highline versions?
High Mileage Golf VR6 and Polo problems - cos
As far as i know the suspension is the same on normal vr6 and highlines, front springs are too soft and need changing.
High Mileage Golf VR6 and Polo problems - cos
I would walk away. The market is flooded with vr6s since the mk4 v6 came out. There are loads of good low mileage (eg 60000 mile) examples around. A few months ago i bought a 95M VR6 for £5500 with 58000 miles and full history. If you look hard enough you will find plenty of bargains. As for your polo problem it could be the throttle valve switch, but hard to say without looking myself.