Renault Scenic 1.5 Turbo Diesel - Renault Scenic Turbo Failure - Colin Wiggz

Mid April 2010 my Son in Law's Scenic had no power and was taken to a Renault Dealer who diagnosed a damaged and jammed Turbo. He was quoted £1350 to repair it.

II suggested we try to get a re-con one with a guarantee. We managed to get one for a delivered price of £332.53. My Son in Law had to pay the renault garage in the region of £300.00 for having stripped parts to obtain access to the turbo.

I I am an experienced outboard motor engineer and have worked in a garage on cars many years ago. The main points we were told to watch out for in fitting the turbo were:

1. Make sure there is a good oil supply to the turbo.

2 Refill with new oil of the approved type.

3 Stop the turbo from spinning to check oil supply is OK before allowing it to spin.

All these things were done correctly and the vehicle ran perfectly for over 3,500 miles.

By this time it needed a new cam belt fitted according to it's service schedule and this was done by a nearby garage.

Within a week of the new cam belt being fitted it started to use lots of oil so much so that it became illegal because of the amount of smoke.

We took it back to the garage who had changed the cambelt and they stated the turbo was the cause and charged a further £35 for checking it.

The breakdown couldn't have happened at a worse time for them with all sorts of other family problems occuring at the same time.

I feel reluvtant to return the turbo without having a turbo expert examine it on our behalf rather than rely on the diagnoses of the turbo supplier.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Colin.

Renault Scenic 1.5 Turbo Diesel - Renault Scenic Turbo Failure - Dutchie

Hello,You said the turbo ran perfectly after you fitted itt for 3.500 miles.It seems to me a coincidence that after the garage fitted the cambelt it all went wrong.If you returned the turbo and it was faulty they would say it was not fitted by a garage.If a garage had done the job you might have had some reconpense.You could always have a turbo expert to have a look at the turbo.How much would that cost do?Is it definetley the turbo?Should last longer than the few miles its done.

Renault Scenic 1.5 Turbo Diesel - Renault Scenic Turbo Failure - madf

When you fitted the turbo did you clean out all the oil pipelines and the airways? And change the oil filter as well as the oil?

Broken turbo = bits of metal everywhere...

Hi madf,

I was told it was not neccecary to clean out the oil lines and there were no loose bits of metal from the turbo because it had simply jammed solid. Had there been they could have blown into the engine and damaged the engine.

I think I need my own turbo expert to check to see the cause of the failure.

Thanks Colin.

Renault Scenic 1.5 Turbo Diesel - Renault Scenic Turbo Failure - madf

Colin

"I was told it was not neccecary to clean out the oil lines and there were no loose bits of metal from the turbo because it had simply jammed solid. Had there been they could have blown into the engine and damaged the engine."

Fopr the turbo to jam solid.. either the bearings have failed - putting metal into the oilways or a vane has struck the casing - putting metal into the airways. Or both.

It is considered good practise after a turbo failure to clean out all airways, the intercooler and the oilways..

Lets put it like this: that is what I would do...

Hi madf,

I have today contacted another Turbo supplier and he has said "This Particular Renault Engine is a Problematic One having lots of problems with carbon build up and he reckons the original one will have jammed with carbon build up."

We are getting a new one from him and have the garage be guided by him as to what is neccecary. His price for a new one is not very much more than what we paid for the re-con one.

We then plan to have an expert determine the problem with the current one and claim against them if it was faulty.

I will keep you posted as to the result.

Thanks Colin.