Vauhall Astra SXi 05 1.4 - Camshaft Snapped - slick dunc

Hi, I need any info from anyone who has had same problem. Engine light came on car lost power, thats how it first started. Next thing loud noise coming from bonnet took to Vaxhall gaarge for diagnostic test only to be told the camshaft had snapped. Car has only done 48,000 miles have only owned the car since May 10 & am the second owner from new. Car has full Vauhall service history & I am trying to get Vauhall to help with cost any suggestions?? Please help!!

Vauhall Astra SXi 05 1.4 - Camshaft Snapped - PETER 4768

Has the cam snapped for no reason or has part of it seized in the head?

Today received a call from Vauxhall to say the camshaft had snapped around the 3rd cylinder.

Vauhall Astra SXi 05 1.4 - Camshaft Snapped - Armitage Shanks {p}

Here is a link to over 400 posts on this sorry saga. You are not alone!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=75160

Vauhall Astra SXi 05 1.4 - Camshaft Snapped - grim5ter
I've just had a call from my wife saying the car broke down yesterday after the engine just died. Garage have told her that this is really un-common, though judging by posts on here it's more common than they think. My carr is the SXi 1.4 (55 plate).
Appears to be a component fault.

Thanks for your reply, it's really nice to know others are having the same problems. Do you know if its the camshaft that has snapped yet? If I were you report the problem to vauxhall.customerassistance@vauxhall.co.uk the person I am dealing with is Alan Hooper.They will give you a ref number & keep at them. the only thing I would say is they insist on full service history. Good Luck

Vauhall Astra SXi 05 1.4 - Camshaft Snapped - jb24

Have just read your posting, the same thing has happened to my daughters Vauxhall Tigra 1.4 i sport 08/05 plate. RAC called out he removed oil filler cap to find camshaft retaining clamp, which is held down with 2 bolts, floating loose causing the camshaft to flop around & break halfway down. Tigra recovered to garage, later the cambox cover was removed to inspect camshaft, on inspection 2 camshaft retaining clamps were found to be very loose causing the camshaft to break in the middle. We are now in touch with Vauxhall customer services by email, we have sent full service history & they are now requesting VAT receipts for all servicing & repair they now wish to know if any parts used in a service are Vauxhall parts. This of course has got nothing to do with the problem as the cambox cover would never be removed during a service. The problem has obviously come about by the bolts not being tightened enough during the buliding of the engine. The engine number is 19FM1309, 19F seems to keep popping up as the problem batch, I feel that this is a safety issue but Vauxhall don't seem to be worried. Have you had any luck with Vauxhall yet??? cost wise?

Vauhall Astra SXi 05 1.4 - Camshaft Snapped - track

Its a common fault across the twinport engines, camshafts are either snapping or simply wearing to the point the lobes are almost round. Seems vauxhall used too cheap a material for the camshafts but wont admit to it.

Customer assistance was dealing with my case as my car was in the Vauxhall garage. the quote I had for the repair was 3000 pounds! They then tried to get out of it by saying the car didn't have full service history. I asked for the persons name who I could take the matter further with. His name is Duncan Aldred he is the MD. I emailed him & we got a call the next day from Jaqueline Berry Executive Support Manager who offered 70%. This still meant we would have had to pay over 900 pound which I wasn't happy with so I emailed her back saying I couldn't afford it & that after reading on the forums this is most definately a problem with 05, 55 similar vehicles. I received her reply back today & much to my surprise they have offered 90%!! Keep on at them as we are all within our rights. I hope now I have given you names you will find it easier to get your daughters car sorted. Just use the email I have given above & in subject I put Mr Aldreds name. After contacting him my case has been sorted within about a week. Good luck would love to know how you get on. Hope this has helped.

Thanks for your help, I will keep you posted.

Quick update, Vauxhall have asked us to obtain a quote for the repair, we maybe getting somewhere fingers crossed.