Can't e-mail - BrianW
May be a silly "teach your granny to suck eggs", but have you tried switching off and re-booting?
Can't e-mail - teabelly
When you run the normal stand alone virus scan does it run normally or mysteriously quit after half a minute or so? If it does that then you probably have the bugbear worm. Norton should have a tool available to remove it. Klez and variants should be found by norton so it is unlikely to be one of those.
There has been a bug in norton recently where it was stopping emails for no reason so it could be worth checking if there is some later version of the program as well as later version of the virus definitions.
teabelly
Can't e-mail - Dynamic Dave
HJ,

It's not just a simple case of Norton changing your smtp settings is it? Norton has a nasty habit of doing that.
Can't e-mail - andymc {P}
This may be a case of closing the stable door, but may be worth a try and might help others. In Outlook Express, go to the Contacts section on the left near the bottom. Click on "Contacts", then Create New Contact. This will bring up the usual window for your new contact where you enter first, middle and last name, e-mail address, etc. In each of the name boxes, type "Aaaaaaa" (as many a's as you like). In the e-mail address space, enter this address:

wormalert@somewhere.com

The thing is, there's no such e-mail address. Using all the a's should put this address at the top of your contacts list - maybe if you have a contact whose "name" starts with a number, you should try 1111 or 0000, I'm not sure. Anyway, viruses that work by sending themselves to every address in your Outlook Express contact list will get stuck on this one, as it doesn't exist. You will the same kind of error message saying something like "message undeliverable" as you would if you'd tried to send an e-mail to the wrong address. If the address is the wormalert one, then you know you've been hit and can take appropriate action.

Otherwise, if it's Klez you should be able to get a free download from the McAfee site which runs through DOS and takes about 2 hours to clean your system. Works, though.
Can't e-mail - BrianW
"In each of the name boxes, type "Aaaaaaa" (as many a's as you like). In the e-mail address space, enter this address:

wormalert@somewhere.com "

I don't think you need the "wormalert@somewhere.com" bit, you can leave the e-mail address field blank.

In my directory I have also put "ZZZZZZZZ", just in case some clever dick decides to run the address book in reverse order.

Can't e-mail - deltaseven
Please do not do this email protection - see the below link for more detail!

tinyurl.com/2usw

d7
Can't e-mail - andymc {P}
Opps, looks like I've been misinformed then. Last time I trust a tip from a colleague! On a more serious note, Mark perhaps you would be so kind as to remove my suggestion (which was made in good faith) to prevent any more people falling into the trap. Thanks.
Can't e-mail - smokie
If you have the latest virus definitions from Norton then you won't have Klez or Bugbear, as it's trapped them many times for me.

Why not de-install or disable Norton temporarily, let Outlook Express do a send/receive, then re-install Norton to see if it's cleared.

I have a feeling a colleague had something similar recently, if you are still having problems by next week, I'll try to remember to ask hom.
Can't e-mail - smokie
btw do you get any error messages, either in send/receive dialogue or from Norton?
Can't e-mail - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

Is hom able to help with other related problems?
Can't e-mail - Citroënian {P}
Just flagging my message above, it seems to have been lost in amongst the other messages in full message view.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lee.
microsoft updates - eMBe {P}
Important advice on essential regular maintenance of your Software:

For free Microsoft security updates, you should regularly check

www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/de...p

HJ: I am surprised that your PC is not configured to so this regularly, and that in the absence of that you have not been advised to make these checks manually. This is essential maintenace for a "high-mileage user of the internet" like you. You would not neglect to service a high mileage car essential for your business, or would you? ( Just as when people neglect to change timing belts as recommended by you, they suffer expensive repair bills.)

To set this up to be automatically checked roughly once every month, in IE5 (may also work for IE6), go to
Tools, click Internet Options, then tab Advanced, then tick the box about 4 lines down ( 2nd option under subheading "Browsing", line says "Automatically check for Internet Explorer Updates), ticking which :

" Specifies to check the Web to see if a newer version of Internet Explorer is available. If you select this, approximately every 30 days Internet Explorer will check the Web for a newer version, notify you when one is available, and ask whether you want to download it. "

You can also access the update site via IE5 (may also work for IE6), by sellecting
Tools, and clicking on third item on drop-down list which reads "Windows Update".
Internet paranoia - volvoman
Odd isn't it, I'd just finished corresponding with Mark about the reason for my paranoia when it comes to PC's and the inherent dangers of the internet in particular when this happens to HJ.

What a nightmare !!

Suffice it to say I'm not feeling very reassured - perhaps I'll stick with what I've got for just a while longer :-(
microsoft updates - Tom Shaw
I logged onto Microsoft's site after reading this thread, as it is quite a while since I've downloaded any new updates. I found a recommended driver update for my modem and downloaded and installed it. Result was I the pc refused point blank to dial up at all, and I had to use ME's system restore to get back to normal.

Sometimes with these toys it can be a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"