DSG gearbox – jerky gear changes - wazza

Had a drive in a Peugeot 3008 1.6 diesel fitted with a DSG box. Basically it is a semi-automatic. Have noticed the gear changes are a bit jerky. Is this normal? This is the first car i have driven with DSG gearbox. I expected smooth changes as per fully automatic gearbox.

Edited by wazza on 01/09/2010 at 03:00

DSG gearbox – jerky gear changes - mustangman

Are you sure the 3008 has a twin clutch "dsg" gearbox?

I think the trans may be a variant of Peugeot / Citroens "egs" which is an automated manual gearbox with a single clutch.

These can indeed be jerky & slow to change gear.

However my own Golf with VW's dsg, has smooth changes most of the time, but can be really jerky away from rest or when asking for acceleration from speeds below about 30 mph. It feels like transmissiom shunt caused by the engine management not being able to smoothly feed fuel to the engine...........I think the only really smooth autos are the older type of hydraulic/torque convertor units or cvt's.

DSG gearbox – jerky gear changes - RicardoB

I would agree with Mustangman. I don't think this is a DSG/twin clutch system/powershift, but an "automated manual".

And yes, the smoothest at any speed are CVT followed by torque convertor automatic boxes (in my opinion).

DSG gearbox – jerky gear changes - Dutchie

Why aren't all automatic cars produced with the CVT systems?There are in my opinon the best systems.I have heard a lot of people complaining about semi automatic boxes.The system in CVT is reasonble simple a variable band.I know when we had the Honda Jazz CVT it felt far superiour than one of my families Citroen C5 Auto box.Correct me if i am wrong.

(Edited - I think you meant 'aren't' in line 1)

Edited by Avant on 03/09/2010 at 01:10

EGS gearbox – jerky gear changes - Dutchie

Your right Avant .Thats what i meant computers grr.:)