Ford Mondeo TDCI 130 Ghia X - Mk3 Mondeo TDCI 130 Catestrophic Engine Failure - cmurphy76

Hello - I'm new to this forum and am in need of some advice desperately...

My Mk3 Mondeo Ghia X TDCI 130 (110k) had a catespophic engine failure ealier today. It appears to be electrical related as the engine doesn't even turn over, instead the dashboard lights up like a christmas decorations, turns the fan on and off and central locking appears to go wild and then settles and nothing happens..!! My wife thankfully managed to tow me home (that was a experience, she's never towed before!) and i've disconnected the battery overnight to see if it resets the issue. I've called in a favour it's having a diagnostic check on Wednesday 1st Sept, BUT i really could do with finding out sooner - any advice or guidance would be appreciated... i've run out of patience and money!

History
I purchased a Mk3 Mondeo Ghia X TDCI 130 privately in February 2010 and encountered an issue with the heating, so i put it into a independant garage who told me that the water pump had failed. I got a brand new water pump fitted, inc. belts as well as a full service inc glow plugs... about two weeks later the engine developed a noticable tapping noise on idle plus a smell of burning rubber. I took back to the garage who replaced and fitted a new crackshaft pulley and v belt. The car has always had the warm-start issue which upon looking at forums like this could be isolated to either a PCM update and injector calibration, or dual mass flywheel (hopefully not!)

Ford Mondeo TDCI 130 Ghia X - Mk3 Mondeo TDCI 130 Catestrophic Engine Failure - madf

Sounds like: a major electrical fault.

Frankly we have no chance of diagnosing it remotely. You need a competent garage.. The belts might have failed and wiped out the engine or you might have an earth fault or...

And if you go back to the previous garage you are wasting your money as they sound as if they are incompetent...

Edited by madf on 28/08/2010 at 18:23

Ford Mondeo TDCI 130 Ghia X - Mk3 Mondeo TDCI 130 Catestrophic Engine Failure - PETER 4768

SOUNDS LIKE A FLAT BATTERY OR A SEIZED ENGINE