Audi A4 1995 1.8 - Overheating problem - WonkyTrout

Had a problem with my old Audi overheating. The temp just keeps rising and the water bubbles back into coolant header tank, not seeming to go into the radiator. I don't seem to be getting water or oil in the others hood!

Now I had a friend replace the thermostat and said the old one was faulty but this is still happening. He told me it's probably the pump and will cost £100's for a new one (but they seem to be only a few quid on ebay).

Any hints on how I can find the problem or should I not bother and sc*** it? I've grown quite attached to the fella but don't want to waste any money on it.

thanks

Audi A4 1995 1.8 - Overheating problem - madf

Is the radiator getting hot at the top?

No? Water pump if thermostat IS ok - and the correct one fitted properly. IIRC the water pumps on these had plastic blades which break...

Audi A4 1995 1.8 - Overheating problem - Peter D

Any chance of the engine code. Regards Peter

Audi A4 1995 1.8 - Overheating problem - Peter.N.

If the radiator is getting hot but its still boiling the radiator itself probably needs replacing.

Audi A4 1995 1.8 - Overheating problem - Collos25

More than likely the head gasget typical symptoms if it was the radiator then it would just run hot..

A failing head gasket will not in itself cause it to boil, what happens is that the pressure created in the cooling system blows the water out of the overflow, then it boils, if the system is still full of water there must be another cause.

Depending on the engine code on some of them you can see the impleelor with the stat removed. This was most probably fitted with a plastic impellor to avoid sheering the Teeth off the cam belt if the car freezes up in colder climes. However it is not uncommon for the bond to fail and the impellor is spinning on the shaft. But I need the engine code to check. Regards Peter

Audi A4 1995 1.8 - Overheating problem - Collos25

Peter.N you are talking rubbish. I am not saying it is the head gasget but it shows all the symptoms.And Peter D that sounds logical.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 27/08/2010 at 16:08

I have replaced probably 30-50 head gaskets in my motoring life and never found one that was directly responsible for the engine boiling, the problem has always been due to loss of water as a result of the gasket leaking.

I presently have a Citoren XM 2.1 td with a leaking gasket which originally overheated due to water ejection, I have covered over 5,000 miles since without any overheating at all, as a result of leaving the pressure cap loose so no pressure builds up in the system.

This doesn't work in all cases, it depends how badly the gasket is leaking.

But I repeat, a leaking head gasket does not in itself cause an engine to boil.

It's simple, either go and have the header tanks snift for combustion gasses or start the car form cold hold the car at 2000 rpm for 30 seconds and then bleed to 4000 a couple of times. Trun off, then check the ehader tank/pipe pressures, if there is no pressure or very little then I suspect the HG is OK. Regards Peter

Audi A4 1995 1.8 - Overheating problem - WonkyTrout

Thanks for all the replies, Id forgotten where I posted this.

The radiator doesn't seem to be getting hot at all. I'm going to try investigation a few things over the weekend.

cheers