Odd noise from Golf VR6 automatic - poolio
My MK3 Golf VR6 is making a sighing noise or whine when the auto box changes up at around 35mph. The noise reminds me of a slipping fanbelt, but always happens roughly at this speed and accompanies the gear change. It's been suggested that this is just a side effect of stress releasing from the drive shaft as the revs drop, but I'm not sure.

There are no clunks or delays in changing so I don't think anything serious is imminent but I am curious to know if this is cause for concern or not.

It's a late '94 model with only 54k miles.
Odd noise from Golf VR6 automatic - Dizzy {P}
It could be that the noise is coming from the engagement of the brake band and is always there but something has happened to make it transmit through to the cabin. Perhaps the selector linkage is under slight tension/compression and is thus transmitting the noise from the gearbox casing through to the cabin.

I recently found that my own automatic made a 'sighing' sound when I leaned on the selector lever during a change. However, the noise was almost inaudible and I think it was feeling it through my hand that called my attention to it. It stopped as soon as I let go of the lever.

If the noise from the VR6 box is quite loud, I should think it is something else that is causing it but I can't think what. If it was a worn bearing I think you would recognise the sound. In any case, automatic gearbox bearings seldom if ever give trouble in my experience.

Automatic gearbox faults are usually felt before they are heard so if the changes are OK I think you are right not to worry about the noise, unless it is loud or getting louder of course.
Odd noise from Golf VR6 automatic - Peter D
Engine and gear box mounting inspection required. The sighing noise is probable the the torque convertor and has always made the noise but transmission into the cabin has increased. Peter
Odd noise from Golf VR6 automatic - poolio
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, which have confirmed my intuition that it may not be disastrous. I will find a reputable independent garage and have it inspected should the noise get any louder.

Fantastic forum this. Thanks for such swift responses.