Renault Clio 1.5 DCI mk 2 2002 - Oil in coolant, what is wrong with my car! - LisaW

I was driving my 2002 1.5 clio diesel (78K) the other day when the engine started to make a gurgling noise. I pulled over straight away, turned the engine off and smoke started coming out of the bonnet. After a few minutes, I opened the bonnet and found oil smoking at the back of the engine area. This all happened within a matter of minutes. The car was towed home and left for a couple of weeks as we were going on holiday.

Three weeks later, the car starts first time and the engine seems to run fine. I am told that the oil has come up through the coolant. There appears to be no coolant in the engine when the dip stick is checked. There is oil in the engine albeit a bit low since it has escaped from somewhere! There was no warning of this, the engine did not lose power or pour smoke out the back, no engine warning lights came on either. The car was serviced a couple of months ago (approx 2000miles).

The garage that I have spoken to seems to think it might be a head gasket, however another mechanice said it might be the heat exchanger since there is no sign of water in the engine and the car runs and starts fine. I have a very minimum budget, what would experience people think the problem is and the actions to take?

Thanking you all in advance, Lisa

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI mk 2 2002 - Oil in coolant, what is wrong with my car! - LisaW

Help anyone?

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI mk 2 2002 - Oil in coolant, what is wrong with my car! - Peter.N.

I would suspect the head gasket, sounds very much as though you lost your coolant and the engine reached an excessive temperature, this in itself could cause gasket failure, the fact that there is no water in the oil is not necessarily significant, I have had numerous head gaskets fail without water getting into the oil.

The gasket may have already been leaking, the effect of this is often to expel most of the coolant through the overflow, hence the overheating.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI mk 2 2002 - Oil in coolant, what is wrong with my car! - madf

Son had something similar on his old 106.

Turns out it was radiator failure followed by head gasket failure.

The gurgling sound you heard = loss of coolant which suggests a leak somewhere...

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI mk 2 2002 - Oil in coolant, what is wrong with my car! - Armitage Shanks {p}

The coolant is not normally checked with a dipstick! What have you actually been checking and what were the results?

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI mk 2 2002 - Oil in coolant, what is wrong with my car! - mickyh7

I think she means there is no water in the sump !