Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - KP
Is a high-pressure spray gun/hose a good way to clean a car or is prolonged and frequent use harmful? Repeated use of a drive in car wash is probably not a good idea. In any case they are not completely thorough are they! A bucket and sponge is OK but I have other things I want to do with my time. So does a high-pressure spray gun/hose offer the ideal alternative? There are some domestic appliances on offer at my local store ? cheap. I am tempted.

Should I or shouldn't I? Any advice gratefully received.

Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - Monaro
When cleaning my Aunt's Rover 216Si, the newer shape, the hose took some plasticy film or coating off the front headlamps and so I am weary of using them now.

Paul C
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - Monaro
When cleaning my Aunt's Rover 216Si, the newer shape, the hose took some plasticy film or coating off the front headlamps and so I am weary of using them now.

Paul C
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - PhilW
Does the bucket and sponge really take much longer than getting out the pressure washer? No need to even rinse off at the moment - the torrential rain will do it for you in 5 mins!
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - Blue {P}
We've used a high pressure gun on the car for years, no problems at all, in fact it does a much better job because it helps remove all of the loose dirt etc. that a normal hose can't.

But, you still need to use a bucket and sponge. We tried using the spray soap in the pressure washer and it's no good, it still leaves a film of dirt which only something like a sponge will remove. Yes, you can use the brush attachment but then this will cause almost as much damage as using a car wash :(

All in all, they do a very good job, and if used carefully won't damage your car, but they will take just as long if not longer than an ordinary hose.
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - Dudley
Blasted the paint off my wheel trims (Rover 218)! Not a good idea. Better off with backet of water and elbow grease - that way you spot the new scratches more easily
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - lezebre
If you do use one, or even a normal hose with a jet nozzle, don't forget to take Cyd's advice to protect the locks with a piece of tape.
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - Blue {P}
That's probably a good idea but again, it's something we've never done yet...

Dudley - The whole point of the jetwash is to be used before you use the sponge as it removes all the rubbish from the car and especially the underbody... If you go straight to sponge without hosing it first then the chances are that you will get rubbish dragged across the paint by the sponge... IMO.
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
After years of trying, I've found the most effective and comfortable method.

Bucket of warm water/Autoglym, with blue-handled brush from Halfords (long handled version) + hose off.
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - wemyss
I wouldn't go near my car with a power spray. My Karcher is a great tool for stripping paint and cleaning off concrete and block paving but certainly not for a car unless you stood well away from it.
Began cleaning some garden furniture and the first item looked as if it had been sanded afterwards.
The handbook does warn you not to allow the jet to get near the car and with over 1500psi that's understandable.
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - Ian Cook
I wouldn't go near my car with a power spray.

I quite agree, Alvin. Depending on how close you get the nozzle to the paint it either cleans it - or strips it. Ditto some plastic garden furniture I tried it on.

Marvellous for tarmac and patios, and for removing moss from hanging tiles on the house. But cars - definitely not.

Ian Cook
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - Cliff Pope
With caution, I'd say they are fine, and definitely better than bucket and sponge.
My technique is;
1) Diffuse spray all over to soak the dirt to let it soften
2) Spray all over with the soapy attachment, and spray special cleaner on wheels
3) While the soap does its stuff, do some concentrated blasting under wheel arches, chassis members etc. Be aware of exhaust pipes, fuel tank breathers, etc.
4) Diffuse spray over bodywork to wash off soap.
5) Replace pressure washer with one of those brushes with a hole in it, at ordinary water pressure, and go over all the bits the previous treatment has missed.
6) general diffuse spray all over to wash of remaining soap, etc.

I certainly agree with not directing the full blast straight at paintwork. On real mud an angled spray works best, after pre-softening.

I know blasting can remove underseal, but if it can come off so easily, it ought to be redone at that point.
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - DGW
1500psi! Blimey, what have you used to tune your Karcher?
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - wemyss
I was actually being a bit conservative with 1500.
My karcher is rated at 120bar.
One bar = 14.7psi
alvin
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - ndbw
My Karcher instructions warns against directing the jet onto the tyres as it may damage them,as this damage would not be obvious it seems great care should be taken,has anyone out ther any more information on this aspect.

ndbw
Cleaning cars with high pressure guns - madf
Would I drive my car through a flood? No.

Would I test all my car's window seals to destruction? No.

Would I test my wheels and paintwork to see if I could find a weak spot and remove the weak paint? No.

Would I try to drive water in through any balljoint/drive shaft seals? No.

Would I use a high pressure hose on my car? Silly question.

madf