All diesel - Particulate filters in hot climate - Evertheoptimist

First post for me although have been an avid reader for many years.

I live in Spain and the time is coming to change the old Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi, probably for a C3 Picasso 110HDi. I like the way a diesel engine drives and diesel is cheaper here in Spain than in U.K. The question is does the warmer climate have any affect on the regeneration cycle of the almost inevitable DPF/FAP ? The engine reaches operating temperature very quickly, so for most of the year (it can be very cold in winter here, even on the mediterranean coast) the exhaust will be operating at a much higher temperature than in U.K. I do reasonable length runs and because of the relatively low traffic density it is easy to maintain speeds of 90/100kph on "A" roads and the occasional "Italian tune-up" doesn´t seem to generate much black stuff from the exhaust. The alternative seems to be to go for a lower powered version which currently does not have the dreaded filter fitted. I realise that this could a "how long is a piece of string" type question but any relevant advice will be much appreciated.

All diesel - Particulate filters in hot climate - dieselnut

The higher air temperature will help slightly but not a lot.

The exhaust is running at 3/4/500 degrees C or more so +20C won't make a lot of difference.

The open roads will help a lot by allowing the engine to complete a DPF/FAP regen process once started.

Avoid early models fitted with DPF/FAP as they were poorly designed with the filter some way away from the exhaust manifold.

The smaller the engine the more efficient it will be.

I would plump for a car with the VW PD engine fitted without DPF.

This was about the pinacle of diesel engine efficiency & least complication.