Fiat Punto - Car won't fuel up and revs a lot - Tasha29

Hi,

I have recently acquired a 1997 fiat punto. When I took it to the petrol station it won't fill up, just puts a pound or two in then clicks off. This is despite the fuel tank showing empty.

Now it has started revving madly when I drive it and attempting to run away, ie doing 30 mph in 2nd gear with no gas and jut pulling further ahead.

What could be the problem?

Thanks

Fiat Punto - Car won't fuel up and revs a lot - Collos25

Is the tank full and the gauge faulty or has the breather become blocked and its sucked the tank flat you need to check first.

They have a sensor on the throttle body which would cause the reving problem but not the tank problem unless the gauge is faulty.

Edited by Andy Bairsto on 07/08/2010 at 17:37

Hi,

Thanks for your message,

I am not sure whether the tank is full or flat how can I tell?

Is the revving problem likely to be serious? Can I get it fixed?

Thanks again for your advice,

Tasha

You can look at the tank and see if its imploded if not you can dip the tank to see how much fuel is in.Its best taken to Fiat agents if they diagnose the sensor its a reasonable price but it may need a new throttle body I have no idea of the price of that.Had exactly the same problem with a friends car luckily it only needed a sensor .But you need to confirm the tank is ok first.

Thanks, the tank looks OK I think. I will dip it to see if there is petrol in it. Hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg!

Update:

Tank is full - mechanic says gauge is also correct and tank is just akward to fill, we need to find the knack.

as for over revving....there was no fault code on the ECU and we still don't know what is causing it, it is far worse at low speeds and makes it quite scary to drive. Mechanics just don't know what it could be. Any ideas here? They tried changing the throttle but it made no difference.

There is a temp sensor at the side of the throttle body this causes the problem as you have proved the throttle body ok which would give the same symptons,as I have said you need to take it to a fiat agent as they will see this a lot its a common fault on a number of Fiat engines.If the mechanic has proved the throttle body is ok then this will save you a lot of money.I looked back the bill from Fiat for the sensor and fitting was £79.