Toyota Previa 2.4i 16v 2001 - Toyota Previa No Spark from Coil - surge0n66

Hi all

I have a Toyota Previa II 2.4i 16v 1991 which was running very ragged after 15 mins (or when warmed up). I was advised to get hold of a new coil and No. 1 HT lead, which I duly did and also I added a new battery. I fitted the battery first and then found that I couldn't get the car to start at all.

Believing that the new power in the battery has possibly finished off the coil, I replaced the coil and HT lead and find that it still wont start. I have been told by the mechanic that there is no spark at all from the coil, so i would like to know 1) if anyone has a workshop manual 2) what is the next step up the electrical line on this model 3) Could I have nudged an emergency/accident cut off/immobiliser if there is one fitted (& where would the reset be?) and 4) Does this car have a CDI/ECU and where would be the best place to get one?

Many many thanks to anyone with the answers to one or all of these annoying dilemmas....

Regards

surge0n66

Toyota Previa 2.4i 16v 2001 - Toyota Previa No Spark from Coil - Collos25

When fitting the new battery have you failed to connect the LT lead.

Hi

I dont mean to sound like a total dingbat, but I thought I had connected all leads......There only appeared to be one...have i missed something essential? Is this a batteryt terminal connection?

Edited by surge0n66 on 01/08/2010 at 15:11

On the positive side you have a thick HT lead and normally a thin LT lead sometimes they are in the same connector and sometimes they are seperate if you have not connected this lead it would account for all your troubles.

OK I understand, I have connected the only one thick multi cabled lead that holds a small fuse bank. I will remove the battery and check there are no other leads that i have missed but i didnt see anything other than that one lead and in the past when i removed the terminals I only ever remember removing one.

There are NO other cables that i missed. I checked thoroughly, there is a large connector for the Pos side with one fuse and three small square boxes with a pastic moulding around the whole lot and multiple cables leading from the bottom of it.

i have checked this fuse and it appears to be intact

Edited by surge0n66 on 01/08/2010 at 15:47

Ok .you need a volt meter check the voltage on the LT side of the coil if you have an input move onto the output can you take out a spark plug if so remove one plug and leave it connected to the HT lead and the metal case of the plug touching the engine block try to start the engine if there is no spark at the plug you have a faulty coil if you have a spark then the problem is on the fuel side.

Hi. Here we are, back at the start of the thread really, I have checked the plug and - no spark, I checked the coil HT (No output, but I have TWO coils and one is brand spanking new!) I thought therefore that the fault must be the input into the coil, hence the question.... what is next up the electrical ladder from this stage, points or cdi/ecu......

strange, it was running fine until I put the new battery on, thats why I thought there may be an impact electrical cut off/immobiliser that may be reset.......

You need to find the supply for the coil without any electrical drawings its a bit difficult.

Changing the battery has caused a problem check all the fuses all the relay coils,take a wire from the plus side of the battery to the plus side of the coil and see if it starts.

Oh for an electrical system schematc. Surely I couldn't just go POS battery to coil without the ECU/CDI unit in the middle.......it cannot be that simple.......

Edited by surge0n66 on 01/08/2010 at 17:23

Its a 12volt coil and you want to see if there is an output from the coil. Thats how people used to steal them before anti theft devices and steering locks.

That is a very interesting reply, many thanks for the insight. I will try that tomorrow, I take it this would not suffice as a permanent fix?

Your replies are very much appreciated, Thanks

Edited by surge0n66 on 01/08/2010 at 19:09

Purely test purposes.

Toyota Previa 2.4i 16v 2001 - Toyota Previa No Spark from Coil - Railroad.

You seem to have got yourself in a bit of a knot here. The ignition coil has two terminals. One is marked + or (15). This is coil positive and comes directly from the ignition switch and will be a 12V supply. Check that 12 volts are present by connecting your red voltmeter probe to this terminal and your black probe to the negative battery terminal when the ignition is switched on and with the engine cranking. If you do not get 12 volts then you have a problem with the live feed to the coil. If you do not have 12 volts you could test by using a jump wire straight from the battery positive to coil positive and see if you get a spark.

The other terminal is marked - or (1). UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MUST YOU CONNECT A DIRECT BATTERY FEED TO HERE. DOING SO WILL CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT IN THE ECU AND PERMANENT DAMAGE MAY RESULT. This is coil negative and is switched on and off by the ignition module or ECU. Connect your red meter probe onto this terminal, select volts and crank the engine. What you should get is a switch between 12 volts and 0 volts as the coil switches. In reality you won't see that because a digital voltmeter cannot react fast enough to the change. Instead what you will see is is less than 12 volts depending on your meter. To measure correctly you need a meter with duty cycle function that will check dwell, Hz, % or duration in milliseconds. You could use an LED test lamp which will flash as the engine cranks, but it's often difficult to tell whether the light is flashing or continuously on because the coil switches several times per second, especially in bright sunlight. If the coil is not switching then the ECU, ignition module or crankshaft sensor may be at fault.

Try these tests if you can and post back your findings.

Edited by Railroad. on 01/08/2010 at 23:22

Many thanks for taking the time to give me this info.

I will do exactly what you have suggested and see what the outcome is. I have a Haynes manual on its way through chaptersmedia_uk on Amazon for around £10 (in case anyone is searching for a manual) which is great value and will allow me the luxury of knowing where things are at last.

I very much appreciate the advice and the warnings., you are a gentleman.