Renault Laguna II - 1.8 Petrol Burning oil 2003 - Salty24404
Hi, any advice much appriciated - in basic english would be great!!

Approx. 3 months ago i took my car to garage and they said the car was burning oil, i have been monitering this and has needed to top up once since then and again today.

The garage initally said it would be best to look to get rid of the car due to burning oil- any advice would be great, apart from this, the car is fine. Is it something very hard/expensive to fix?

Kind regards, Sarah
Renault Laguna II - 1.8 Petrol Burning oil 2003 - RichardW

Provided it will still pass an MOT, then just keep driving it. Eventually it will fail the MOT on unburnt hydrocarbons, but the remedey will most likely be serious (read expensive) engine internal work, when the car will be sc***.
Renault Laguna II - 1.8 Petrol Burning oil 2003 - piston power

Give it a oil and filter change and use thicker oil like 15-40 instead of semi synthetic or fully synthetic.

It's either the valve stem oil seals that are worn and oil leaks into the cylinders when the engine is switched off and as you start it burns the oil, Or it's the piston rings that are worn which may also be bore damage which then is better to replace engine.

Id go for valve stem seals they get hard and allow oil to pass them, A compression test will tell which it is.

Renault Laguna II - 1.8 Petrol Burning oil 2003 - Big John

Check oil breathers and pipes etc.. first - a simple blockage/restriction can pressurize the crankcase forcing oil past valve seals etc... Bit more of an issue on low mileage cars due to condensation mixing with oil.

Renault Laguna II - 1.8 Petrol Burning oil 2003 - Peter D

Well worth checking the breather system. How much oil per 1000 miles does it burn and how many miles has the car done. Regards Peter