Volkswagen Golf IV R32 - Golf 5 R32 Electro Mechanical Steering light on - adam500

Hi i have a golf 5 R32, and lately at startups the electro-mechanical power steering light goes on. after a number of startups the light goes off and power steering is back. This light does not appear while driving but only at startups. everything else in car is working fine and it doesnt seem like battery is low. a new battery has also been replaced. I have a feeling theres somthing wrong with the steering rack. Can that be the problem? can u please help me? and would replacing a steering rack come under warranty? thanks

Volkswagen Golf IV R32 - Golf 5 R32 Electro Mechanical Steering light on - 659FBE

Get a competent auto electrician to check for voltage drop between the alternator output terminal and the battery. There is an ill-designed and located fuse in this circuit which develops high resistance joints due to the effects of thermal cycling, poor location and very bad detailing.

If the system voltage remains low after start up due to this problem, the steering assist may be lost.