Ford Focus - How to reset the Engine Management Light - speedycar53

I am wondering what is involved to reset the engine management light / clear any fault codes. The EML light is permanently on.

Do I need to buy any special kit to be able to do this? I know modern cars connect to a laptop (which I have) but is there a special connector and software required? I am technical but not in the garage trade.

I am not keen on paying a Ford dealer a king's ransome for what must be a simple job. The objective is to see if Cataclean has resoved a catayst efficiency problem that I have at the moment so I may need to reset several times before I know the answer.

The car is a Ford Focus Zetec Climate 115PS TI/VCT model.

Any advice appreciated.

Ford Focus - How to reset the Engine Management Light - Ben 10

Cancelling the light will not cure your problem.These management lights rarely come on unless there is a problem. I've had several Focuses and never had one come on yet. So I suggest you swallow the price tag and get a Ford diagnosis. You can save money by using an independant, but self diagnosis or ignoring it will lead to further problems. Your car can't be running properly, usually in limp mode.

Or if you're lucky it could be a faulty warning light. Either way, don't short cut. Take it to Fords and find out for sure.

Ford Focus - How to reset the Engine Management Light - Collos25

You can buy an OBD11 quite cheaply but it will not cure your problem as already said it will just turn the light off which will come straight back on,what makes you think the cat is faulty there are upteen reasons why this light comes on and a cat fault is the last think I would think of.

Hi Andy,

Ford dealership diagnostics say so - fault code PO430 - the result of a misfire and consequent replacement of the coil pack. They now want a further £1500 to replace the cat! Not much harm to try Cataclean as the light was only borderline coming on (intermittent initially) but I resent a £90 charge for resetting the EML when I might have to try several times. I accept this may not solve my problem by has to be worth a try. Hope this clarifies somewhat.

Hi Ben

I should explain. I am aware of the existence of a problem - underperforming catalytic converter (code PO430) which Ford want to charge £1500 to change. I have been advised that it would be worth my while at least trying Cataclean since this problem was the result of a short period of misfire due to faulty coil pack now replaced. I may need to try resetting the faults several times though before knowing whether this has improved the situation, hence my post.

Ford Focus - How to reset the Engine Management Light - Ben 10

If you had included more info in the opening post as in your subsequent posts, then I would not have posted what I did. You need to explain properly in the first place to get correct technical advice. Otherwise you are wasting time.

A new cat you say is about £1500. How much is the car worth. You didn't even provide the year of your car. Try the cleaner and reset the light. If that only works temporarily then clean again and sell. Thats if you don't want to part with £1500. Then its someone elses problem. If you feel you can't pass on privately then sell at an auction, sold as seen.

Edited by Ben 10 on 23/07/2010 at 12:01

Ford Focus - How to reset the Engine Management Light - Collos25

If you do need a new cat then they can be bought for a lot less than £1500.

Ford Focus - How to reset the Engine Management Light - Bassrock

Mmmm

If you do a search in a euro car parts type website you will find cats for your model between £350 and £500.

However, I'm not 100% convinced the cat is causing the fault

Ford Focus - How to reset the Engine Management Light - easyian
Hi, my engine managment light came on my 2001 Focus. I checked the plugs and found spark plug 4 had worked very loose. I changed all the plugs and the car is running fine. How do I now reset the orange engine management light? Please help.
Ford Focus - How to reset the Engine Management Light - jc2

IF that was all it was,it should go out after several start/drives.

Ford Focus - How to reset the Engine Management Light - easyian

Light didnt go out on my Mk1 2001 51 Focus until I disconnected the neutral batt terminal for several minutes. This was to rectify a central locking problem whereby I had to locate the hidden fuse (63 if I remember correctly) on the rear of the fuse block behind the glove compartment. On reconnecting the battery the engine management light went out and has since stayed out, without the need to goto a garage. So for the ocst of £17.00 for new plugs I fixed the problem myself and reset the engine light, money in my pocket and not some garage, the interweb is great - thanks to all those that posted enough info for me to fix the problems. Car is running just perfect.

Ford Focus - How to reset the Engine Management Light - billybrant

Hi I have a ford fiesta 1.2 lx 2004 54 plate and I have misfire on 1/4 I have changed the ht leads the spark plugs the coil pack I have been told this is Down to my ecu I really could do with help please I also have the engine light on and stays on