SEAT Ibiza - Faulty Lease Car - snoopamy

Hi,

I have my car on pcp contract over 4 years, I have had it for just under 6 months.

My car:

1.6 diesel Seat Ibiza

My Problem:

Every so often a light appears which means that the filter has excessive pollen on it - the manufacturers advice is to drive on a dual carraige way with the revs to 20rpm until it turns off - this then means the pollen has burnt off. This to me seems nonsense!

Anyway, the light does eventually go out then after a few times of it coming on and going off - usually over the space of 1-2months the engine fault light then comes on and I loose all engine power. This is then when I take it into the garage they say the have resolved the issue, by simply replacing the filter.

My car is now in the garage with the same fault for the third time. Although I nearly crashed this morning as the light came on and I lost engine power on a major round about.

I would like to know where I stand - am I able to demand I hand the car back and just walk away? I am concerned as I did not buy the car and am on a 4 year pcp contract i may be tied in. Alternatively if I can get out are they likely to give me my deposit money back?

SEAT Ibiza - Faulty Lease Car - LucyBC

I don't think this is sufficient for a "return fault" but you should demand they resolve the problem once and for all with a view to reserving your future position.

SEAT Ibiza - Faulty Lease Car - ablandy

I think you will find its a DPF, which is a filter that catches the particles generated by diesels (not pollen), these have eliminated the black clouds that used to come out of diesels. The dpf then burns the particles during a regeneration cycle. Different cars do this in different ways.

The problem in that when a car is used for short journeys and stop-start traffic the engine is not meeting its criteria to begin regeneration. Result - filter clogs and car goes into limp mode. What they have told you to do is correct to clear it.

This is a big issue with dpfs and one that consumers need to be educated on. Quite simply your driving style does not suit a car with a dpf.

We have an audi a3 that has had this happen a couple of times in 2 years. My mondeo which does it slightly differently has never had a problem.

The car is working correctly as intended, unfortunately its not really suitable for your purpose. If it keeps happening to you, it will keep happening for the life of the car.

Not a reason to reject the car im afraid as it is operating within its intended design parameters, but you do need to change it or your driving style. Sorry its not better news.