Renauklt Laguna 2002- Engine Probs - ianb
My friend has a 2002 Renault Laguna DCI and everytime he goes through a puddle or the weather is particulary wet, the engine starts playing up (loses power and starts 'chugging'). The dash reports an injector problem.

I seem to remember a few years ago that some french diesel engines had the air intake at the bottom and hoovered up any water, straight into the engine.

Is this the possible cause of his problems, or have they changed the design since then?
Renauklt Laguna 2002- Engine Probs - volvoman
I'm sure the problem was on the Espace model but it could have affected others. There were lots of unhappy owners and wrecked engines IIRC ! Don't know that this sounds like the same problem though but I'm sure someone here will be able to help.
Renauklt Laguna 2002- Engine Probs - RichardW
Low mounted air intakes are common these days - you get cooler air which helps emissions and performance. Check before fording anything deep!

I doubt the problem here is water ingress as that is usually quickly terminally for the engine. Sounds much more likely that a connector somewhere is not properly seated and water is getting in and causing errant messages to the ECU (don't forget modern diesels have nearly as much electronics as petrols!). The dealer should be able to simulate it with a hose pipe...

Richard