Peugeot 306 1.9DT - 306 DT - will NOT start - Doc_D

A little short on ideas so would appreciate any advice.

On sunday the auxillary fanbelt slipped off, due to the smaller of the two tensioners becoming somehow wonky. I realised this was no big deal but still had it towed to a local garage to have the pulley and belt replaced, as It was a signifcant amount of work on the driveway (lowering engine etc to get at tensoiner nut!)

The guys fixed this issue on monday, but 1 mile down the road from the garage, the car heaved and tried to stop whilst travelling about 40mph, just warming up. This cantinued and I manage to keep the engine running by dipping the clutch and revving the engine. Eventually the car completely stopped, and I had to push it the last 200m home.Obviously I complained to the garage, but they are little more than tyre/exhaust fitters who had done me a favour int he first place.

So any ideas on what could be wrong? Currently car will not start at all, although it turns fine ont he starter motor,. My guesses are Fuel pump, fuel injectors, immobilser, HGF (no sign of that), favouring the latter as it really wont start, despite running fine up to that point.

thanks in advance

Andy

Peugeot 306 1.9DT - 306 DT - will NOT start - dieselnut

Sounds very much like an air leak into the fuel supply somewhere.

Make sure you have plenty of fuel in the tank.

Pump the rubber fuel bulb in the engine compartment until it goes hard, then try to start again.

Peugeot 306 1.9DT - 306 DT - will NOT start - Peter.N.

Has the fuel filter been changed recently? Try fitting a length of clear plastic tube in the fuel feed to the pump to see if there is any air getting in, if the fuel is getting through OK it could be a faulty fuel solonoid in the pump or the power to it could have failed.

Peugeot 306 1.9DT - 306 DT - will NOT start - ianjoh

I would also concur that it seems to be air in the system. The most likely cause is a rubber fuel line that has gone hard and fractured, especially if the engine has been moved to replace the belt. The problem is finding it as they dont often leak fuel out, I would check the lines coming off the bulkhead. This was a well known problem on the Xantia.

Peugeot 306 1.9DT - 306 DT - will NOT start - Peter D

What state was the old belt in. I am concerned that peices of the aux belt may have entered the cam belt cover and forced the cam belt to jump teeth. Is the primer bulb hard. Regards Peter

Peugeot 306 1.9DT - 306 DT - will NOT start - Doc_D

Thanks for the responses chaps!

Unfortunately wont get time to look until saturday, crazy week.

Old belt was in good nick (I changed it 4 months back) also Cam belt is completely sealed. Fuel filter changed at same time. Already have clear tube going to Injector pump so that will help. You do have to lower the engine to get at the tensioners so a cracked pipe could be likely.

Will feedback once Ive found a free hour or two!

Andy