Volvo 740 Diesel - captainvideo
Can anyone tell me if the Volvo 740 diesels, 85 onwards i think? are OK. Good or bad. Owners experiences welcomed. Economy running costs etc. Many thanks.
Volvo 740 Diesel - Chas{P}
I used to work for a Volvo Dealer in the late eighties. The engine is a VW LT van engine (straight 6 2.4 Litre, some with Turbo and/or Intercooling). Memories I had was head gasket problems which resulted in warped heads (Alloy) and even blown radiators. One of my own cures was to always fit the thickest head gasket available when we were rebuilding the engine. Fuel economy was not brilliant but performance was adequate.

HTH

Charles
Volvo 740 Diesel - Big Cat
You may hit the high 30's for mpg if you drive sensibly but being a six cylinder economy was not top priority. The biggest problem with these engines is noise - acceptable in a van but not in a car. Your other problem will be finding one which has not been driven into the ground by now - many seem to have fallen into the hands of tradesmen who use them as their daily work horses.
If you can locate a good one then consider it, but don't expect great economy; and refinement is miles behind the current generation of diesels.
The newer Volvos such as the 850 use a five cylionder VW/Audi engine which is far more refined but may be outside your budget.
Volvo 740 Diesel - Dan J
I tried to buy one of these about 4 years ago and they were like hens teeth back then. Regardless of odometer reading (it is an extremely common Volvo 2/7 series fault for the odometer to pack up and get replaced much later on) few of these will have done under 200000 miles. They were bought for big space and high mileage which is what all have been used for. A p/x engine will also set you back at least 1500 quid.

If you need a car of this size and are looking for reasonable economy, may I suggest buying a loved 740 petrol estate and converting to LPG? Plenty of cared for big V's at www.volvoclub.org.uk

Good luck
Dan
Volvo 740 Diesel - captainvideo
Thanks all for your info. I have found what seems like a straight 87 turbo diesel. Slightly tired paint but original, 151K, present owner last 10 years. Owner maintained who tells me the head was replaced by him (£800 worth) around 20K ago. There is a slight diesel leak at the back/rightside of the engine (nearest the bulkhead) which he told me causes the fuel to fall back and reluctant starting. It is noisy but seems OK from inside! All bits inside and out seem present and correct, no accident damage that I can see. MOT 10 months etc. Slight appearance of rear end sag (very slight) does this mean anything?
Thanks again. Comments welcomed before I part with any dosh, or not as the case may be.
PS I do fancy a diesel (why?)
Volvo 740 Diesel - DavidHM
£300 if you're feeling generous. Why? I dunno.
Volvo 740 Diesel - M.M
CV,

>>There is a slight diesel leak at the back/rightside of the engine (nearest the bulkhead) which he told me causes the fuel to fall back and reluctant starting.

Just one concern...well lots but just one worth mentioning.

A diesel leak is usually a fairly easy repair in the engine compartment area...and the mess/smell is annoying....so why hasn't the owner sorted it?? Add to that the '86 740TD I looked after suffered poor starting for months and eventually turned out to need an engine rebuild because it had poor compressions. Even a budget job cost £1200.

Given that there is nothing worse than going into the winter with a poor starting diesel why not say you'll buy it if he gets the diesel leak repaired then you can be sure it starts well otherwise. It would be worth paying £50 more after the owner had proved this.

Even a decent exchange starter and new heavy duty battery will cost a good proportion of the cars value so you need to know.

A friend has just bought a similar car for £300 with a years MOT and in smart metallic green with leather interior...hope you were going to be in that sort of price range with yours.

Not my sort of car but they are a somewhat satisfying barge if they are your cup of tea.

Good luck,

MM