Peugeot 205 Diesel - Exhaust Manifold - Kildrummy

The exhaust on my 96 205 diesel is blowing at the manifold. I have discovered that there is a chamber type thing on the manifold (looks like a round can) and this is where it is blowing. I believe this part is called a resonance chamber or muffler. I have no idea what it does but obviously it needs to be changed. It looks like a pain to get at and I would appreciate any advice from anybody who has changed one of these out.

Thanks

Peugeot 205 Diesel - Exhaust Manifold - Peter.N.

Unfortunatly anything at the back of the engine on a front wheel drive car engine is difficult to get at but the 205 is by no means the worst. You need to tilt the engine forward as far as you can get it which will mean taking off the top engine mounting and putting a jack under the engine to support it, you should by feel at least be able to get to the manifold bolts. You will also need to disconnect the exhaust from underneath.

Peter, Thanks for the advice. do you know if this muffler thing is part of the manifold or is it bolted on?

Unfortunatly not, I think it must be something peculiar to the XUD in the 205 as I don't remember seeing it on any of the others. There is one on ebay item No 270593479579 but you can't see much as it appears to be covered in snow. You could try asking your Peugeot dealer, there maybe someone there old enough to remember.

Peter

Thanks again for your help.

Can anybody tell me if it would cause any problems if I dispensed with this muffler. I can't see what purpose it serves. It bolts on to a flange on the underside of the exhaust manifold and I could make up a blank and bolt it over the flange where the muffler was.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

I think its only a resonator, to take some of the noise out of the exhaust, I cant see that blanking it off will cause any harm.

I have managed to get it off and it took me ages. I will check out the price tomorrow with the local Peugeot Agent and decide then if its pricey then I might blank it off.

I think getting one may be a problem.

I think getting one may be a problem.

I managed to get one + the springs and bolts etc for the exhaust joining the manifold from our local motor factor, same day!

Fitting it was a lot easier than getting the old one off. I had taken the inlet manifold off to get at the exhaust manifold to remove the old one.

When I removed the inlet manifold I stupidly took out the 4 cylinder head bolts at the back of the engine. I put them back and torqued them up to what I believe they should be but my manual is a bit vague and I am a bit concerned that I have the correct torque settings.

As hard as you can pull on a short spanner should be about right.

Peugeot 205 Diesel - Exhaust Manifold - Dyaneman

For some reason all 1769 NA XUDs were fitted with these. I would try and weld it up, but failing that see how it runs without it. That said, there should be plenty in sc***yards, and remember the XUD7 was used in the C15D van until around 2000 when it was replaced by the DW8.

Peugeot 205 Diesel - Exhaust Manifold - Adam Wilkes

Peugeot 205 1.8D: I've just welded a plate over the hole in the manifold that feeds the resonator box (purely an empty steel box); it's passed an mot fine, but it does make the car 'boomier' at some engine speeds. That's why it was there, I guess!