1999 model Petrol Vauxhall Vectra - Castrol 5 w30 A3 B4 for old Vauxhall Vectra ? - bhubble
Hi Guys;

I bumped with this nice website through internet search and have just subscribed !

May be you noticed TESCOs offer on Castrol oils ? So, I picked up the 5w-30 A3/B4 for my 1999 model Petrol Vauxhall Vectra (60K miles).

Usually, I use Vauxhall oil 10w40 A3/B3.

However, I thought the Castrol 5w30 will be more synthetic and convenient for my driving pattern: which is daily several short trips around (in-town). And hence, several ONs & OFFs.

Any recommendations or comments are very welcommed.

Please accept my thanks in advance.

With kindest regards;
Firas
1999 model Petrol Vauxhall Vectra - Castrol 5 w30 A3 B4 for old Vauxhall Vectra ? - Peter D

Here, http://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Castrol_Magnatec_5W-30_Vauxhall_Synthetic_Engine_Oil_1L.html

However Magnetec also comes in 10/40 which is the original viscosity for your car. Regards Peter

1999 model Petrol Vauxhall Vectra - Castrol 5 w30 A3 B4 for old Vauxhall Vectra ? - quizman
As far as I know, Castrol Magnatec is NOT a full synthetic oil. I think the Nielsen site is wrong. The Castrol site does not say that Magnatec is synthetic either. It is the Castrol Edge which is synthetic.

However the oil you mentioned will be perfectly OK for your Vectra.
1999 model Petrol Vauxhall Vectra - Castrol 5 w30 A3 B4 for old Vauxhall Vectra ? - 1litregolfeater

I think you're right, if your short journeys mean the oil never really warms up properly, a 30 should be better than a 40. However, the only way to decide is stick it in and see, listen to the engine and feel if it seems better or worse. All engines are different, oils are different.

You may find a 40's better first time you go over ten miles on the motorway. I once tried 5-30 in my Probe, which is what Ford recommend, but soon went back to 5-40, it just felt better. 100000 miles later I guess I was right and Ford were wrong.