Audi A6 2.0 TDi - Trying to get Audi goodwill payment - Rob C

HI there, its been a long time since I posted here.

Last August we bought an A6 2.0 TDi from Teesside Audi, with about 33k on it. Despite reading HJ's review about the clutch/Dual Mass flywheel, I wasn't too concerned as both my wife and I seem to quite good with clutchs, having two other cars both over 200k miles on their original clutchs.

However, after a further 10k miles, we've had the flywheel and clutch changed by Audi to the tune of £1200, after it displayed classic systems of DMF failure. Audi of course say its wear and tear. The mechanic gave me the flywheel and said although the clutch plates have some wear, its the damping mech of the flywheel that has failed due to "hard starts." I can't help thinking this problem would not exist at all if it were not for Audi's design of damped flywheel and fell aggrieved at having to pay a huge sum for their design flaw.

I'd like to write and complain and try and get them to cough up the full value, but who too, the controlling group of Teeside Audi, Teeside itself, or to Audi UK. Is there an address for Audi UK, as their own website doesn't give much info, instead merely giving you a comments box to fill in.

Any advice before I start inventing new swear words to put in a letter?

Regards

Rob C

Audi A6 2.0 TDi - Trying to get Audi goodwill payment - BobbyG

Rob, my Seat Altea is in getting this replaced under warranty just now, 2.0tdi engine (140bhp)

The car has exactly 6 days left on its initial 3 year warranty. I would maybe be going direct to Audi, after doing some googling, and see how many owners of VAG cars have had this replaced under warranty and why yours should be different?

Audi A6 2.0 TDi - Trying to get Audi goodwill payment - Roly93

Out of interest, how old is the car and what were the symptoms ?

Edited by Roly93 on 14/06/2010 at 21:08

Its a 2007 car, 07 plate. The clutch was juddering hard when pulling away from standstill. Releasing the clutch quickly proved more successful, as it first manefested itself while driving out of London, which was very stop-start, whereas we usually drive M-ways and A-roads in the North East.

While my first thought was overheating in traffic, I don't ever ride the clutch and the problems continued when back home in Yorkshire, even when pulling off the drive from cold.

Audi A6 2.0 TDi - Trying to get Audi goodwill payment - LucyBC

We have dealt with numerous similar cases for Honest John readers and will normally do them on a no win no fee basis.

They will begin by alleging clutch abuse and you may need an engineer's report to show it was not.

If you want assistance with this please contact me via letters@honestjohn.co.uk with full details of the case so I can advise further, possible costs and how to proceed with it.

Many thanks.

I'll see what they come back with in response to my first letter.

Audi A6 2.0 TDi - Trying to get Audi goodwill payment - Roly93

I have an 07 plate A4 Avant 2.0TDI which is basically the same mechanically. My clutch used to judder slightly on cold damp mornings and sometimes after a lot of town driving. However, it seems to be okay now i've done 42K miles.

The clutches do feel 'weak, on these, but I am thinking that some of my problem was contamination of the friction plate somehow. I have never in my motoring carreer worn out a clutch in any car I have owned or driven, but I did think at one stage that I would talk to the dealers about this, but never did.

Audi A6 2.0 TDi - Trying to get Audi goodwill payment - pmh3

How do you think that you can dispute on 'no hard use' grounds when you bought the car second hand? The previous oner may have been a boy racer, or the car may have been a loan demonstrator.

Best of luck.

Its a good point. I'm trading on their "Audi Approved" scheme. Its supposed to be a mark of quality, one generally pays a bit more buying second hand from Audi rather than from an independant dealer, so I'm claiming that "quality assurance" should mean they don't sell me a car that's been thrashed for 2 years.

Minimal update.

First bit of flannel from Audi UK, it's taken 2 months to reply as they didn't have any contact details for me despite the letter being on headed paper with full address, email and 2 phone numbers on it. They also say I need to speak to the dealership first, again despite the letter clearly stating it has been copied to the dealer, their managing company and two addresses at Audi UK.

Hey ho, here we go.

Audi A6 2.0 TDi - Trying to get Audi goodwill payment - 659FBE

As a fellow VAG customer, mercifully with much better luck with regard to product reliability, I would respectfully suggest you do not waste your time with these people - life's too short.

My dealings with VAG M-K have clearly identified a sophisticated wallet-raiding machine coupled with an utter contempt for the customer. When I change my car, I will be very glad to be rid of both them and their trading practices.

For customer service, try John Lewis - a pleasure to do business with and in a different galaxy (not that one) from VAG. They don't sell cars though.

Audi A6 2.0 TDi - Trying to get Audi goodwill payment - madf

I had an Audi. I now have a Toyota.

The difference in dealer and manufacturer attitudes is huge..

The customer is always right vs the customer is always wrong..

No prizes for guessing..

VAG are arrogant, rude and pricey... I am amazed any sane business person deals with them.

Audi A6 2.0 TDi - Trying to get Audi goodwill payment - Avant

Without in any way defending VAG UK, who could and should be more helpful to their customers, they take the view that as the contract of sale was with their dealers, the customer should deal direct with them, and that any request for goodwill payments should be made to them by the dealer.

Skoda get a much better press, not I suspect because there is a different attitude in their part of VAG at M Keynes, but because their dealers are mostly family-owned and therefore care about their customers Their service receptionists usually know both customers and cars (Roy at Jewsons in Oxford is a fine example), as opposed to the junior ('Ooh, what's a DPF?') pen-pushers in the chain-owned glass palaces who don't seem to have any connexction with the workshop.