SEAT Ibiza - Glenn 42

I did own a diesel one in the early part of the last decade and was very impressed with the economy and the torque, but obviously hearing the horror stories on here abour some modern diesels has put me off. While I know the diesel versions of the Ibiza are excellent for economy, what is the 1.4 petrol like in terms of economy, refinement and performance as I am considering adding an Ibiza to my list of possible next cars? Also if the deal is good enough, is a Leon with a 1.6 petrol worth considering?

SEAT Ibiza - Armstrong Sid
Also if the deal is good enough, is a Leon with a 1.6 petrol worth considering?

Are you talking new, or an older version? I had an 04 Leon with 1.6 petrol engine for 4 years. Good in some ways, but a bit irritating in others.

Always felt very solid and well screwed together, even by the time I got rid of it. Reliable and cheap to run with no dramatic problems. The interior was good quality but a bit cramped; felt narrow and dark.

Took me a while to understand the engine; at first I thought it was sluggish and ponderous. I eventually discovered that you had to treat it like a diesel; hit the acceleratorl really hard and it had quite a turn of speed, but accelerating with my normal pedal pressure hardly produced any response.

The only petrol car I've ever driven which thought it was a diesel van.

SEAT Ibiza - Glenn 42

Hello Sid, I was thinking more on the lines of the 2005 onwards model, which does have a good reputation and looks excellent. My only gripe with SEAT in the past was the rather wayward interior quality- mechanically sold, though- but apparently this problem has been beaten. The local dealer also is a family run business that has been a success for decades, rather than some faceless franchise.