Mondeo TDCI 130 - Mondeo TDCI 130 (53) Problem - Sideshow Blob

Evening all. :)

I've had a persistent problem for some time now. Over a fairly short period of time, the car has lost almost all it's power. No oomph at all.

I have no lights on the dashboard and it's chucking out lots of black smoke. Thick black smoke. I was advised to use a fuel treatment, which I have done twice. This has made no difference at all.

No lights are coming up on the dashboard at all and the car is driveable, just very slow in getting anywhere. No acceleration at all.

I noticed just recently that every now and again, I will lose all power completely but the engine is still running. A good hard revving (with a massive cloud of black smoke with it) and I'm back to 'normal'.

It recently passed its MOT which came as a great surprise! I want to get this sorted ASAP. Are there any other treatments I should be considering?

TIA

Mondeo TDCI 130 - Mondeo TDCI 130 (53) Problem - Railroad.

Does sound like a turbo related problem, but not necessarily the turbo itself. It could be a faulty MAP sensor which measures turbo boost. It's located in the air intake pipe behind the front bumper on the offside. To check it out either you'll need a scantool to interogate the ECU, or you could use a multi-meter.

You will have a plug on the MAP sensor with 3 wires. One will be a 5V ECU supply, one with be an earth and one will be a signal. Connect a voltmeter between the signal wire and earth and increase the engine speed. The voltage should rise and the engine speed increases and fall when it falls.....