quotelinedirect.co.uk (Wilsons) - blank
As the title suggests, I am interested in quotelinedirect, who are the on-line branch of Wilsons Insurance Group.

They have just given me a very competitive insurance quote, but I've never heard of them. Does anyone else have any knowledge or expereinces they'd like to share with us?

Thanks
Andy
quotelinedirect.co.uk (Wilsons) - Steve S
Long established brokers - I know of at least one insurer that they use, you should have no problem.
quotelinedirect.co.uk (Wilsons) - Obsolete
Wilsons are the biggest broker in the Manchester area unless I am mistaken. I was insured with them for two years. They are indeed reputable and not dodgy.

One thing I didn't like about them was that when I had a broken windscreen, the replacement was done by a dodgy looking bloke in a dodgy looking back street garage, and I had to wait a day for him to order the glass (bog standard Micra).
quotelinedirect.co.uk (Wilsons) - cockle {P}
Hi Andy

I've used them for the last 4 years, as you say very competitive, certainly I've not had better quotes from anyone else. Haven't had to make a claim through them so can't vouch for that side of their business but they've always seemed to be quite business like.
The only time I had any problem was last year when they sent me a quote for renewal that seemed a little higher than I expected so I played the game of logging on to their website and getting a quote as a new customer. The new quote came out £30 cheaper so I made a note of the reference number to quote at them and rang the renewals number and queried the renewal figure. After a little discussion they had another trawl around and came back £40 cheaper than their original figure! Just shows that you should never take anything at face value where insurance is concerned and to be fair I've had the same experience with many other insurers over the years so I wasn't overly worried, I've learnt to play the game by now!
Certainly I've experienced no real problems with them and have experienced far worse.

Cockle
quotelinedirect.co.uk (Wilsons) - Dizzy {P}
The good reports here suggest that Wilsons have improved since I was with them for two or three years around 1998. They were the worst insurance company that I've been with in over 40 years.

I didn't use their Claims side but their general customer care was awful. For example, when it came to adding another driver, or changing vehicles or even just renewing, I had terrible trouble with errors and omissions. To make matters worse, they didn't answer letters or e-mails (except with a standard and totally unhelpful pro-forma e-mail response) and their phone just kept you hanging on and on and on and on and ...

I moved to Royal and Sun Alliance and they were just as competitive on the premium but when you dial their number the phone is answered immediately, and not by a machine but by a human being who knows his/her stuff and acts on your behalf accurately and promptly.
Danger with this thread is that people's negative experiences will dominate. The main question sought to establish

Worth pointing out that Royal & Sun Alliance are an insurance company - Wilsons are brokers.

R & SA may have given Dizzy good customer care but if recent business pages are anything to go by - they have enough problems with their business.
ooops - sorry, I meant to complete the sentance "The main question sought to establish whether Wilsons were known - clearly they are".
quotelinedirect.co.uk (Wilsons) - The Watcher
Id be VERY careful if I were you despite what some have posted to the contrary.

My wife was insured through Wilson's and they put her with a company. All well and good but the insurers went bust (cannot remember what they were called but they were the last ones to go bump around 4 years ago).

She lost a year's NCB because other insurers wouldn't accept the last year because the insurers collapsed literally 4 weeks before she would have qualified for that year's NCB.

Wilson's were very unhelpful so I switched her from them as soon as I could.

Also, if you need toquery anything it is a nightmare to get anyone who does anything. You get passed around a lot.
quotelinedirect.co.uk (Wilsons) - Obsolete
I wasn't going to mention it but I had many problems with Wilsons. Waiting on the phone for a long time was one of them though this is a common feature of discount brokers. They have to cut costs somehow. I also had numerous errors on the statement of insurance. The same error (NCB incorrectly lost) reappeared 6 months after they had corrected it. It meant that when I shopped around for quotes Wilsons gave the best one. Wilsons gave a quote assuming an intact NCB, whereas they had told me I had none. Again I suspect such errors are a feature of discount brokers who work on a minimal work force. If they are not much cheaper than a well known name, then I would go for the name.

Try www.its4me.co.uk.
quotelinedirect.co.uk (Wilsons) - Simon
On a more positive note I insured my car through them about a year and a half ago as they were the most competitively priced. No problems with their service at all. When it came to renewal time they sent me the renewal notice along with the quote, plus an alternative quote as well from a different insurer that they are also brokers for. So I went through the motions of trying different brokers and insurers to get a better price but could not get anything as good as theirs. Needless to say that I am now on my second year of insurance through them, and incidently it is the first time in the 7 years of insuring cars that I have stuck with the same broker/insurer for two years on the trot.
quotelinedirect.co.uk (Wilsons) - Mark (RLBS)

After due consideration and thought, this thread is back. Please be careful what you say and how you say it.

Thank you.
Sorry Watcher but what does that have to do with the broker? An insurer going bust is not good news for client or broker.

I'm afraid that's "buyer beware". The broker is just getting you quotes. If a quote turns out to be too good to be true - maybe it is!

Anyway, no insurer, however long established can guarantee not to have problems - Equitable? Vehicle & General (for those old enough)? Just recently - Independent Insurance, the market thought their cheap premiums were wonderful.