Peugeot 607 - 607 3.0 Auto 'Clonks' into Reverse Gear - hatman

I was looking at a 2004 607 3.0 V6 at a car auction last week, the car looked in excellent condition but when I put the car in reverse with my foot on the foot brake it felt as though the gearbox jolted into reverse with a fair bit of force, sending a bit of a vibration throughout the car. I tried it several times and everytime I selected reverse the same jolt happened. I then put the car into Drive and with my foot on the brake again, it didn't feel as though the car wanted to creep forward.

The car seemed to drive okay into the auction hall but I was a bit worried about the clang when I put it into reverse? Is this jolt normal when a tiptronic automatic 607 3.0 is put into reverse or does it indicate something wrong with the gearbox. Given that the car is in an auction it's impossible to test drive it before buying it.

I've never had a 607 before but a few years ago I had a Citroen C5 3.0 with the same engine and the tiptronic gearbox. I can't remember if this car made a vibration when put into reverse. Greatly appreciate any advice.