Repeated battery failure - Renault Grand Espace electrical problem - RMD10

We have just fitted the fourth battery in five years to our 05 2.2 diesel auto Grande Espace. The Renault garage has no ideas and don't seemd to think this is odd. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? The last one lasted 3 months and that was after the alternator had also been changed.

Repeated battery failure - Renault Grand Espace electrical problem - Collos25

Doesn.t say much for your main agent in fact I would ask for all my money back.

A battery should last around five years reasons for failure are a constant drain on the electrical system,check with a multimeter with the igniton switched off.

Overcharging again easily checked with a multimeter should be between 13 and 14 volts.

Check the voltage with the engine on and all electrioal devices switched on it still should be above 12.5 volts.

Batteries do not pack in without reason if I remember correctly there is a known problem with the alarm system on this model causing an alarm drain

Repeated battery failure - Renault Grand Espace electrical problem - Peter.N.

I would agree with Andy. Batteries designed for cars are not designed to be 'deep cycled' i.e. continually charged and discharged, if something is substantially discharging the battery and then it is being recharged every time you use it, this could be the problem.

Thanks to both - the trouble is that agent has done those checks and still can't find anything. I am really wondering if anyone has come across this before and knows of some odd and iunexpected solution.

Repeated battery failure - Renault Grand Espace electrical problem - Peter.N.

The only thing I can suggest is that you wire a voltmeter to a connection inside the car, cigar lighter for instance, and keep a check on the voltage in case the alternator has an intermittent fault, while driving it should be around 14 volts, if it exceeds this by much you have an alternator fault. Without the engine running you should have around 12 volts, much less than this and something is draining the battery.

Thanks - I will try that .....!