Honda Civic - Brake Wear - Durelli_tyres

Hi,

we have a Civic Type S GT 2.2 Diesal, less than 2 years old with 34,000 miles on the clock and full Honda Service history. Last service was September 2009 when there were no issues.

We've noticed some 'rubbing' sounds when braking, and so took it to a dealer who informed us the Front pads are 95% worn, rear pads 90% worn and rear discs corroded. The sound we hear is apparently from the rear pads/discs.

They want to replace 4 pads and the rear discs for a total of £350.

There is no warning of brake problems int he car, and the squeal pin that is supposed to warn us of brake wear isn't making a noise as yet.

Is it right that these brake problems can occur without warning?

Should the last service have raised brake wear as an issue?

Why would the rear discs corrode and not the front on a regularly used car?

Should the rear discs be covered by warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Durelli.

Just seen - honestjohn.co.uk/faq/brake-discs-and-pads

The rear diics and Pads need replacing again on the Civic, 23,000 miles and 20 months since the last time this was done. In the same time the front Pads are only 20% worn.

Is that expected? The car will now be on its 3rd set of rear discs and pads in 60,000 miles.

Durelli

Honda Civic - Brake Wear - balleballe

I'm not sure about the civic, but the accord is known to be quite harsh on break pads/disks too - maybe it's a honda thing?

You could try 'upgraded' padsdisks to see if they last longer?

Honda Civic - Brake Wear - unthrottled

Which is why engineers used to put drums on the rear axle-until customers decided that they knew better...

Honda Civic - Brake Wear - ChannelZ

Discs seem to be as consumable as pads now, I always seem to end up needing to replace discs at the same time as pads. Been the way for the last 10 years or so.

My Vectra had to have discs and pads put on it at 18k - they were metal on metal. That car wore rear pads far faster than fronts.

Honda Civic - Brake Wear - gordonbennet

Cars that have separate shoes for the handrake, usually inside the rear disc, the pads and discs seem to last much longer, rarely get any trouble with this system either.

Now the car is out of warranty, i think, OP you can buy good quality aftermarket pads and discs far cheaper than OE parts, can't be any worse and might be a sight better..

Agree with Unthrottled about drum rear brakes being perfectly adequate for most vehicles.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/03/2012 at 16:39

Honda Civic - Brake Wear - unthrottled

I think 'better' would be more appropriate than 'adequate'. The front brakes do 90% of the braking because of weight transfer. You don't want the rear wheels to lock because of the instability problem. This means rear brake discs don't get hot enough.

Try applying the handbrake (when moving) with 2 fingers of pressure-you don't have to pull very hard to lock the rear wheels. Now try to brake with the foot brakes but with the vacuum servo exhausted. Even with hydraulics you have to push the pedal very hard to get any retarding force.

Drums are sealed from the weather and are easily paired to handbrakes. Their only shortcoming is purely cosmetic, they don't look sporty through multi spoke alloys. This it seems was enough to seal their demise.