Vauxhall Corsa C 1.2 16V - TIMING CHAIN / GEAR - Cavendish2

My daughters 2001 Corsa has a very noisey timing chain / gear which obviously needs some attention to sya the least, my question is can you change the timing chain, tensioner etc with the engine in situ, or is it an engine out job? Would be grateful for any advice on the matter, many thanks, Cavendish2

Vauxhall Corsa C 1.2 16V - TIMING CHAIN / GEAR - topbloke

change in situ chain, comes as a kit(sprockets, chain tensioner guide rails, you will also need the timming case gasket and a rocker cover gasket as well plus oil and filter) and you will need the locking plate for the cams the special tool to lock the cam timming sprocket in place and lastly a peg that go's into the block to align the crank all is explained in the haynes manual i believe but if you need further advice or guidance then i will try to help, Regards TB

Vauxhall Corsa C 1.2 16V - TIMING CHAIN / GEAR - bathtub tom

Are you sure the noise isn't the cam bearing caps working loose?

Hi Bathtub tom, ( love the name), thanks for your response, have had the cover off, cams ok, deffinately timing chain / gear, thanks again cavendish2

Vauxhall Corsa C 1.2 16V - TIMING CHAIN / GEAR - bathtub tom

>>Hi Bathtub tom, ( love the name)

It's a (sort of) anagram. Thanks.

Hi Topbloke, many thanks for the info, pretty much confirmed what our ex mechanic at work & his freindly / helpful mechanic mate said today, will invest in a Haynes manual and get reading. For anybody else with the same problem and I think there are quite a few Corsa's out there with the same, lead to belive the kits cost about £125, so bearing in mind all the other gaskets: timing case, sump, fluids, filters etc it is not a cheap or quick job, but cheaper than a pro job - £600-700. Many thanks again for the prompt response & advice. cavendish2