mercedes e320 engine - steve
Friend has just bought a 95 merc e320 coupe with just over 180k miles. He bought it knowing that it needed engine work. KNown problem was that the crankshaft pulley had come loose (do not know why or how as they are tightened to 300 ft lbs) and may have caused damage to the end of the crank. Further inspection shows that the engine is short of oil pressure on first start up and clanks like the bottom end is shot. The only option seems to be a replacement engine; question is 1. new merc engine - probably out of the question on price 2. recon engine - but who is dependable? and 3. secondhand from a breaker - same question as 2.

Any recommendations?
Any ideas why the crank pulley came loose - crank vibrating as a result of bottom end gone caused it to loosen? any other ideas?
mercedes e320 engine - zm
Two companies that I can strongly recommend who can assist:-

1) Re-con option. Crewe Engines on 01270 526333 / www.creweengines.co.uk
They re-manufacture Merc engines to a very high standard. For a mint CE coupe, it is worth going down this route in my opinion.

2) 2nd Hand engine. Dronsfields Mercedes are one of the leading Merc breakers in the UK, They are on 01457 871717. I think their web-site is www.dronsfields.co.uk.

Good Luck..
mercedes e320 engine - zm
Forgot to say that Crewe Engines will quite possibly take the old lump in part ex against one of their remanufactured units.