rover75 - replacing my much loved rover620 - putupon

Ihave to replace my much loved and faithfull rover 620 which has done everything from pulling the caravan etc. now the time is coming and thought of buying a 75 but which is the best and most reliable model does anyone know.

rover75 - replacing my much loved rover620 - Peter.N.

They are all much more expensive to repair than the old ones which is why I stick to '90s cars.

rover75 - replacing my much loved rover620 - Avant

Possibly look for one made before 2004: there are stories that as Rover got into deeper financial problems towards the end, costs were cut on the production line so that quality suffered.

Edited by Avant on 29/04/2010 at 19:54

rover75 - replacing my much loved rover620 - Collos25

2.0 diesel if you can with lowish mileage,petrols suffer from head trouble have high road tax and are for peanuts for good reasons.Having run a mint 2004 2.0 diesel MGzttt for six months I had to replace the clutch and alternator at 107k odd ball parts can be expensive but basic service parts are reasonable if you hunt around.There is a diesel heater under the rear wing that can cause trouble the ECU has to be kept water free and they are heavy on fuel(compared to the Saab 1.9 tdi I have at the moment)Personally I would not buy another as they are like all old cars a liability especially as they do not make them anymore but they look nice .

rover75 - replacing my much loved rover620 - Peter.N.

The diesel uses a BMW engine doesn't it? Got to be better than the petrol.

rover75 - replacing my much loved rover620 - putupon

To all that replied . i think it would be best when push comes to shove i shall replace with the same only newer and lower mil eage as the one i have has been so so reliable. The trouble is finding it .Thanks to all.

rover75 - replacing my much loved rover620 - baffled1

Just read your conclusion - yes finding one wont be easy but they are still around - many are being traded in as people switch from large cars to beancans to save on fuel costs

Agreed it wont be easy but they are around - many are being sold/traded in as people switch from large cars to beancans to save petrol money.

Failing that a late 93-01 Mondeo 2.0 is comparable although not as refined engine wise but they are alot of car for little money now.

Spot on - the 620 (Honda engine) was a superb car - my mate sold his with 185k on the clock still running sweetly. My beloved wrote off hers before Xmas and I replaced it with the later 98-03 Honda Accord. What a short geared pile of junk that is......

The 75 diesel is your best bet - dont buy a K series petrol - Rover went from having the most reliable engines in the world to a noisy troublesome poorly developed engine that eventually sunk them

The clutch on the 75d can be very heavy - they all seem to be like this - however they do seem to notch up very high mileage - worth looking at tuning-diesels.com - there is stacks of info on 75d tuning and faults